Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: firearms

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Lol, I think when you did your copy and paste you actually got confused.  Here's the whole text I think you were reading:

"If the bullet simply punctures the skin of an airplane, then it's no big deal. The cabin of the airplane is pressurized, and the hole creates a small leak, but the pressurization system will compensate for it. A single hole, or even a few holes like this, will have no effect.

If the bullet blows out a window, that's a problem. A big one. When the window blows, the plane will depressurize over the course of several seconds. Since all of the air in the cockpit is rushing toward the missing window, a lot of debris will be heading in that direction with it. If the person sitting next to the window isn't strapped in, then it's possible that he or she will get pushed out -- another good reason to wear your safety belt at all times!"

https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/gun-on-plane.htm

And the woman in the incident in April 2018 was pulled part way out the window after the window cracked, as described above.  Yes, a large piece of material broke it, but same effect.  Keep your guns at home.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Actually, the top half of her body was sucked out of the plane. The only reason she didn't go completely thru the window was that  other passengers were holding on to her.

buzzchris
Adventurer B

I agree with "spacecoastbill". I use to fly as an LEO and trained as well as the dynamics of a firearm discharged inside an aircraft. I'm also retired Air Force and flew. A discharged firearm, typically a 9 or 40, may put a hole in the window. No one is sucked out. The cabin pressure is compensated for.  At 37,000 feet one time, my right cockpit window came close to being blown out and that could perhaps have sucked someone out,..but we always had our cockpit seatbelts on. Yes, people reference movies as factual. I hear it all the time. 

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Do you cut and paste this on every single thread?