Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

immigration/customs again after returning from international at first entry point?

E46M3
Explorer C

We're coming back from Costa Rica and connecting at HOU and final point is LAX. Do we reclaim our bags and go thru everything again at HOU or do we do that at LAX?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: immigration/customs again after returning from international at first entry point?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Customs is always done at the first airport you touch within the US unless you depart from a destination that has preclearance.  I do not believe that is available in Costa Rica so you will claim bags and go through customs in HOU then recheck bags and continue on your way to LAX.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: immigration/customs again after returning from international at first entry point?

dfwskier
Aviator A

You'll get your bag in Houston. Then clear customs with your bag. And then check your bag -- in the same general area that you did everything else.

Since it is ll handled in a secure area, you do not need to clear TSA security again.

E46M3
Explorer C

the part where you said I do not need to clear TSA again at HOU, does this apply to all airports or just certain ones that have this security area? Thanks!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@E46M3 wrote:

the part where you said I do not need to clear TSA again at HOU, does this apply to all airports or just certain ones that have this security area? Thanks!

I can't speak for HOU, but I have gone back through TSA at a number of airports after clearing customs.   All depends how the airport is configured.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, I will stand corrected. What I said about baggage was  correct, but apparently you will have to clear TSA again

https://www.fly2houston.com/hou/international-travel?mdrv=www.fly2houston.com

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

Can confirm! @dfwskier is right - after exiting from International Arrivals, take the escalator on your right - after a long walk, you'll get to the ticket counter and then proceed through the main checkpoint again to get to your next flight.

Safe travels!