Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

new to SW...confused by seating process...help..please clarify

memejoann
Explorer C

i am a first time flyer of SW and i am very confused by seating process...what do i need to do to ensure a good seat for a long flight?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: new to SW...confused by seating process...help..please clarify

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

A little luck will help a lot.

But seriously it depends on what you consider to be a good seat, and if you have purchased a Wanna Get Away fare or Business Select, or are willing to add Early Bird Check-In.

People that fly Southwest more, and also any passengers that are already on the plane if it is a through route will be ahead of you - so if your definition of a good seat is the exit row, it will depend on a lot of factors out of your control including how many of these other people are on the same flight.

If you want to get an aisle or window - well 2/3 of the people get one of those, so the hurdle is a little lower. Check in exactly 24 hours ahead of the flight, or purchase the early bird check-in to get ahead of people that don't check in right away.

For a good seat that is in the front half of the airplane it will be a little more difficult,  you'd probably want to be into the B-group at least.

Sometimes the gate agent will offer a chance at early boarding for a fee, but even then you'd be solid for the front of the plane but still not for an exit row depending on through passengers. (Find out if the plane is a continuing flight number or not.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

memejoann
Explorer C

thank you for your reply...what i am hoping for is an aisle seat.....i have very bad back issues with a rod in my back and i have great difficulty sitting in one position and not being able to get up and stretch....otherwise i become very stiff with my back spasming from being inthe ssme position...

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I know that you may consider it to be a "pain" literally - but you are entitled to ask the person to get up if you are in the middle, do what you have to do. Obviously try to obey the seat belt sign.

I don't think an aisle seat will be too difficult, especially if it doesn't matter front or back. Do you best to check in right at 24-hours, consider early bird if the peace of mind is worth it, and then head to the back of the plane where there won't be a lot of competition for aisle seats.

My experience is that people in the front want the aisle to get out quickly, get up and use the bins, etc. People going to the back want the windows first and aisles second. @TheMiddleSeat usually is available until the very end at the rear of the plane...

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.