Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

overcharge for seat upgrade at kiosk

MarshallbCapps
Explorer C

My wife was overcharged by the kiosk during a recent trip.  We hold a Chase SW Priority card for such up-grades due to her anxiety.  Instead of using the ticketing at the gate, she used the kiosk while getting her boarding pass.  She was charged $480 dollars for this upgrade which should have been $40 or so dollars at the gate.  

SW Customer service despite being nice just kinda shrugged their shoulders and said it was a ticket upgrade and to go away.

So at this point I'll be filing with Chase to dispute, Better Business Bureau locally, Fed-X letters to the home addresses of the members of the board not to mention to publish this issue on public media.

Has anyone else had this issue?  I hate to leave SW after all these years but I cannot accept or condone this charge and their lack of concern over this issue.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: overcharge for seat upgrade at kiosk

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you were charged $480 you didn't buy an upgraded boarding position, you changed your ticket from a Wanna Get Away fare to a Business Select fare.  Those are 2 very different things and I have to think the error is on you.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Additionally, upgraded boarding positions can only be purchased at the gate.

--TheMiddleSeat

MarshallbCapps
Explorer C

so you work for SW,,,,I'd rather hear from the community about this than a PR person.

M

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I don't work for Southwest, thanks for asking.

I am a customer like you.  Sorry you made an expensive mistake.  Why would you agree to the $480 purchase?

--TheMiddleSeat

MarshallbCapps
Explorer C

Since my wife suffers from an anxiety disorder and we weren't traveling together she agreed to the upgrade since we've always been credited back for that upgrade.

It seems to only way to get anyone to give a **bleep** at SW is to raise $500 worth of hell,,,which I intent to do...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Have fun. You agreed to a purchase that was not an upgraded boarding position. I would think the $480 price tag would make someone have second thoughts and perhaps question it before completing the purchase, but I know anxiety can make things difficult. Sorry you had to learn via such an expensive mistake.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MarshallbCapps wrote:

Since my wife suffers from an anxiety disorder and we weren't traveling together she agreed to the upgrade since we've always been credited back for that upgrade.

It seems to only way to get anyone to give a **bleep** at SW is to raise $500 worth of hell,,,which I intent to do...

You are not listening.

One CANNOT buy an upgrade via kiosk. It MUST be done at the gate.

The earlier guess is that she somehow bought the most expensive ticket available, Business select, seems correct.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Exactly, an unfortunate and expensive decision. Definitely a self-inflicted penalty. This is not SWA's fault or responsibility. You really have no case with Chase Bank or the BBB. Sending Fedex letters of protest regarding a personal choice to upgrade a ticket seems pointless.  Best of luck on trying to secure compensation after the flight was completed

chgoflyer
Aviator A

As stated by others, the kiosk will suggest an "upgrade" to Business Select, and before that is completed it will show the full cost. You have to agree to that before you are charged.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your wife was confused, and made a costly mistake. But once purchased and travel is completed it's non-refundable.

In addition to better boarding position, Business Select also comes with double the points earned on a WGA fare. And these points are all CP and A-List qualifying.

Purchasing Upgraded Boarding is only available through a Southwest agent at the baggage check-in counter (limited to Full Service at some locations) or at the departure gate. It's not available for purchase via the kiosk.

It is very unlikely you will receive a refund or credit card adjustment, since the purchase details, including cost, are clearly shown on the kiosk screen.