Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: pre boarding rules

floridaguy
Aviator C

We've covered this a hundred times.  In fact, I'm recommending its own category.

Under current Federal law, an individual who "self declares" with a disability becomes eligible to preboard.  The law does now qualify which disease or condition is a disability.  In fact, you can do acrobatics and back flips all the way to the gate and then "self declare" as an individual with a disability, then preboard.  The only remaining question is whether you need a wheelchair, or not.

Soon, the preboards will be assigned boarding positions and the remaining six passengers can just walk on the plane after the preboards.  

The issue goes back to open seating.  Yes, open seating is just that.  Whatever seat is open is yours.  The perfect storm is that preboarding on Southwest allows you the best choice of seats.  That is not the problem of the individual preboarding, that is the Southwest way.

Myself, I am seeing more and more wheelchairs and that is how to be first on the growing preboard list.  So, ask for a wheelchair if needed and you are first on board.

JH_Hammond
Explorer C

SW has stopped enforcing its rules a few years ago, and it is no longer pleasurable, nor economically useful to fly Southwest.  Where I generally fly out, with a little planning, Delta and American can be equal in price.  It is a huge turnoff upon boarding to see the one faker with an entourage preboard.

sdbrink
Explorer C

Preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device. Customers who are traveling with assistance and emotional support animals qualify for preboarding!

I have been a Southwest rapid member for many years and feel you are the #1 airline in the industry.

The statement above, about preboarding, I totally agree with.  Here is my #1 complaint (along with almost every passenger who has earned A status), the agents need to follow the guidelines that Southwest has established.

We see the diable people and the people who are unable to go down the runway preboard (totally understand).  Then we see a person is overweight, family that wants to seat together or anyone else preboard.

This is becomes a joke with your passengers guessing how many people you're going to allowed to preboard.

The preboarding subject seems to come up a lot on this forum.  Can you please let us know if you can have your agents adhere to the guidelines Southwest has established?

Your people are the best in the industry.  Thanks!

neilfeldman
Explorer B

My wife has MS, and every time I have to take her on a flight, she requires pre-boarding! I always put in the reservation she requires it with wheelchair assistance. I never have any hassles because as long as I put it in the reservation, and even show her issues with walking, never a problem! Also, the Gate Agent sees the reservation sheet to compare who’s who when he/she checks the boarding passes! 

rnr1029
Explorer C

So I'm curious to everyone's opinion, I'm a 100% service connected disabled veteran, I have a multitude of disabilities most are not visible with my clothes on. Should i be aloud to pre board?

Dr_Rock-It
Explorer C

Today I was A01, yet I was the 28th passenger on the plane. Yep 27 preboards and only 5 of them needed it. The rest appeared to be families that should have been in the family boarding section or regular people who should have been in their boarding group.

pretty disappointing to shout out an extra ~$100 or more to be a business select and then get the shaft because southwest can’t follow their own policies and guidelines!

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

We apologize for any frustration, @Dr_Rock-It. We follow federal regulations in offering preboarding to Customers with disabilities in order to comply with the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986, implemented by United States Department of Transportation regulations as 14 CFR Part 382, Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel. It's important to note that many of our Customers have disabilities that are not necessarily visible or restricted to a specific age group (e.g., diseases that cause blood clots, epilepsy, autism, etc.).

While Business Select does come with additional perks aside from a low boarding position, I understand your disappointment if you expected to be first onboard with A1. Please know your concerns in this regard have been taken to heart. 

Nicole
Community Manager

buzzchris
Adventurer B

responding to Dr_Rock-it:   I agree. But along with pre-boarding abuse which is so prevalent, I  have an issue with "group number"  abuse.  I was recently on a flight to Hawaii. I was A7. A passenger behind me was A8. The group A1-A5 had 11 people in it!! What? Turns out a passenger ahead in A1-A5 had his entire adult family with him. We saw their passes and they were "C group". The A8 passenger behind me spoke up, complained, but was met with some profanities.   We thought that group would be stopped by the gate agent.  NOT.    Of course, that "C" group took up all the emerg row seating.    I saw a similar situation last month on a trip to southern CA.         At 6'3", I like the extra leg room in the emerg row seats. I don't have carry-on luggage so that is not an issue. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@buzzchris wrote:

responding to Dr_Rock-it:   I agree. But along with pre-boarding abuse which is so prevalent, I  have an issue with "group number"  abuse.  I was recently on a flight to Hawaii. I was A7. A passenger behind me was A8. The group A1-A5 had 11 people in it!! What? Turns out a passenger ahead in A1-A5 had his entire adult family with him. We saw their passes and they were "C group". The A8 passenger behind me spoke up, complained, but was met with some profanities.   We thought that group would be stopped by the gate agent.  NOT.    Of course, that "C" group took up all the emerg row seating.    I saw a similar situation last month on a trip to southern CA.         At 6'3", I like the extra leg room in the emerg row seats. I don't have carry-on luggage so that is not an issue. 

Theoretically that should not have happened.

While a16 and higher allow A-Listers traveling with family members to have the family members receive sequential boarding position immediately following the A-Lister's.

The same rule does not apply to A1-A1. 5o, they should not have been allowed to board when they did..

Russ70
Explorer C

Pre-boarding is being abused. They should be allowed to pre board after A1 to A30. This rewards your frequent fliers and still allows for Pre-boarders to have extra time. I have been on numerous flights where a whole family of pre-boarders go ahead.