Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: pre boarding rules

Mroen
Explorer C

Iv’e been a loyal SW customer for over 20 years and travel weekly for business. I will tell you for a fact there is pre-boarding abuse. And it’s getting worse every year. Yes, there are folks who truly need to pre-board. However, people have figured out how to scam they system. Ask yourself this, why are there upwards of 37 pre-borders on SW flights while all other airlines only experience a handful per flight. Also, there must be something in the water SW serves, many people board with a disability but walk off just fine. By the way, I have MS and know the pains of being disabled, but do not pre-board because I do not need to. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

This really isn't about the preboard group, it is a perfect storm that occurs on Southwest.

By Federal law, those who self-declare with a disability have the right to preboard.  Because of Southwest's open seating policy, those who preboard also get the best selection of seats.  That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

There are dozens of threads about this and until the Federal law changes, this is the way it is.  Some have suggested that you must have a pass (similar to handicap parking) to preboard and I am totally on board with that.  Keep in mind that a doctor will sign off on this without too much debate if asked, so there you go.

Here in Florida people violate the speed limit on the turnpike too, however, life goes on.

I support the ability to preboard.

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

Many of the boards I read and comment on have a way to block certain posters on my account. Is there a way to do that here?