Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

preboarding for deaf

norandnic
Explorer C

Hello!

I will be traveling alone for the first time without my fiance and I am deaf. I am very anxious about not having him there as he is always my line of communication when we fly. Would this disability be appropriate to request a preboard? Being close to the front where I can hopefully communicate my needs better would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10

Re: preboarding for deaf

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

I would say so! The preboard option will give you some extra time to board without a crowd around, hopefully easing your experience and anxiety. 

See more detailed info about the preboard option here.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Em_Flies
Explorer A

I wish that this was more acceptable. As a person who uses a cochlear implant, it's near impossible to lipread on flights. When I fly alone, I'm always on edge because I have to be aware every second because if I'm not, I might miss something. 

I do wish that SW had their safety briefing on their app as a video. I flew United a few months ago and was so relieved to see that they provided the safety briefing, captioned, at the beginning of every flight. Now, they have screens on the back of each seat, but even if it this was added to SW's main in flight page, it would be so appreciated!

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

As FORMER customer of Southwest. I have previously boarded without a assistance upon boarding the airline. I never had any problem and never asked for help. All you have to look at the screen and read flight attendance's lip. I have flown AA, United, Delta, Northwest and SWA without any help.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Im sure you can.  You just need to get in line with all those who preboard for a better seat.  The preboard process is abused quite a bit and there are times when you see 10 or 20 preboarders.

Its more abused on SWA due to the open seating.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@spacecoastbill, I don't always abuse the front row or preboarding seat. This is not my priority. Unless if I have a medical condition aside from disability. I respect that.

I once flew on first row seating due to my blood clot. I have obtained a medical approval from the doctor to be allow to fly and got me a front row seating . and I had to show the agent and they granted me a from row seat.

This is the first time I ever sat in front row during my years of aviation. My legs require enough room, since I am 6'2". 

So, you like to accuse me of something? I am not suprised. Trust me.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

@DfDrPepper_23 wrote:

@spacecoastbill, I don't always abuse the front row or preboarding seat. This is not my priority. Unless if I have a medical condition aside from disability. I respect that.

I once flew on first row seating due to my blood clot. I have obtained a medical approval from the doctor to be allow to fly and got me a front row seating . and I had to show the agent and they granted me a from row seat.

This is the first time I ever sat in front row during my years of aviation. My legs require enough room, since I am 6'2". 

So, you like to accuse me of something? I am not suprised. Trust me.

Paranoid much?

My comment had nothing to do with you.

Turning a general statement about the widespread abuse by those who fake need to preboard into something talking about you is a strange thing.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@spacecoastbill

You have said for yourself, see your comments for yourself above.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

I think your comprehension for the English language is causing you to think things incorrectly.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@spacecoastbill

When I said read the said comments above. I mean the comments you said on ‎12-04-2018 08:54 PM.