Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

questions from a first SWA customer

teesa2you
Explorer C

I have been lurking and reading archives. Bear with me please as I am a nervous, OCD traveler. 🙂 I have a few questions:

1. I checked in exactly 24 hrs before my flight on the iphone app and got my boarding pass B1. I went to the website on my computer and it is asking me to check in. If I click it, will my mobile boarding pass become void? I usually have a paper pass. My boarding starts at 615am, for a 645am flight. Is there separate lines for A, B, C passengers? Or do they announce overhead? Do I just proceed to the front of the line?
  2. I am not in a hurry to exit the plane, should I proceed to the back area to improve my chances of getting a window seat? Or an aisle seat? I just don't want to be stuck in the middle. Not sure if B1 is good or bad.
  3. I always brought a purse or laptop bag when I fly other airlines. I have only flown a few times in my adult life and get nervous with turbulence. This time I will be wheeling a carry on bag. What is the proper etiquette if I do get an aisle seat? Do I remove the carry ons in front and give it to the others before I get mine from the back?
  4. I am flying Phoenix to Seattle, with a 40 min layover in Vegas. No switching planes. Once the others exit, can I switch to a more desirable seat by the window, before folks from Vegas board? Do I have time to exit the plane and grab a Starbucks, stretch and use the restroom? And do I have to wait in line again or can I just board before the others? 
  5. I have read the horror stories on here about seat saving, rude customers etc. I thought if I put my coat on my chair that would show it is occupied. But I read some people just throw it in the overhead and sit down. Does this really happen? 
  6. I understand I should shut my phone off. But can I use my kindle to read or bring a book?

Like I said, I am in no hurry to exit, I understand disabilities, families and business travelers need to get off the plane faster. I just want to be in a decent seat for the flight. Thank you in advance for helping!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: questions from a first SWA customer

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@teesa2you 

First off welcome to Southwest and the community!

now to answer yours questions 

1. If you check in on the app you can check in on the website as well and it won’t affect your boarding position (if you wanted you could check in 1,000 times and nothing would change). When it comes time to board the Pre boarders and A Group will line up there will will be a monitor that says A 1-30 on one side and 31-60 on the other side (terminal side and window side) there are posts in increments of five (1-5, 6-10 and so on). They will take the pre boarders then the A group. After the A group will be Family Boarding you can line up at that time as the monitors will change from A to B and after family boarding they will take Bs then they will board Cs. They will announce As line up Bs line up at the appropriate times to help. 

2. On Southwest it is an open seating policy meaning you can sit in any open seat. With B1 you should have no problem getting a window or aisle at mid cabin or towards the back of the plane. B1 is not bad as there would be pre boarders, family boarders and up to 60 people (from A group) in front of you. 

3/4. If you sit in the aisle you would just grab your suitcase and be on your way when it’s your rows turn to deplane. Since your on a continuous flight they will ask you to remain in your original seat until the crew gets an accurate thru count. You can get out to let the others out from your row and just wait until the crew does there count before you get your bag you can switch seats at that time if you’d like. With a 40min turn (layover) odds are there won’t be enough time for you to deplane to get food or drink or use the terminal restroom. You can use the restroom on the plane though and just place your coat on the seat most people are understanding. If you are moving seats i would move your carry on to an overhead bin near your new seat before using the restroom (in case Boarding starts while your in the restroom) 

*on occasion the airline may swap your plane which would cause you to deplane go to a new gate and if that happens you would take everything with you and you could use the restroom in the terminal if there is time or grab a drink. Usually when they do a swap you would board first (either before pre boarders or right before the A group) you would just show your ID and be on your way to pick any open seat. 

5. Most people I have encountered on planes have been nice from time to time there may be a rude person who moves your stuff to take your seat but it doesn’t happen that often if it does happen I would Just move to not cause a scene or you could tell a FA. 

6. Now days kindles, ipads, phones, laptops can be used during flight as long as they are in Airplanes mode. Laptops can only be used above 10K feet they will make an announcement for that but kindles can be used gate to gate as long as it’s in airplane mode. 

Hope this helps!

Blake 

teesa2you
Explorer C

That was so nice of you to explain everything to me Blake! I appreciate that! 

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

If you are only one person, why the need to save your seat?

If you are sitting in your seat, its no longer open.

teesa2you
Explorer C

@spacecoastbill wrote:

I just don't want to get up during the flight to use the restroom and come back to someone moving my things to the overhead and occupying my seat. That would be rude.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Once you are in the seat it is yours, nobody is going to take it when you get up to stretch.

Customer | Home airport DCA

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

@teesa2you wrote:

@spacecoastbill wrote:

I just don't want to get up during the flight to use the restroom and come back to someone moving my things to the overhead and occupying my seat. That would be rude.

Never seen that happen.......

dfwskier
Aviator A

@teesa2you wrote:

@spacecoastbill wrote:

I'm A Lisr, so I normally board early. Sometimes I visit the lav during the boarding process (especially when I expect turbulence that might prevent a lav visit during flight). I put my compuer case on my seat when I go to the lav. So essentially I'm saving my seat for  --- me. I'd be more than a bit upset if someone were to remove my computer case and take my seat while I was in the lav (never happened yet).

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@teesa2you,

Welcome to the world of air travel, and thank you for reasearching and learning about it before heading to the airport.  There are many different rules to learn between TSA and the airline, as well as just figuring out ground transportation (park? shared ride? taxi?).  Have a great flight and I hope all goes off on time without any problems.  Report back and let us know your experience.  There are a lot of folks like me who are on a plane frequently (as in once or more per week), so hearing from a new flyer helps provide a fresh new perspective.  

Enjoy!