Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

up grading boarding position at the gate

Jsmjeff
Adventurer C

My Chase credit card allows me 4 upgraded boarding passes per year .  They have to be purchased at the gate if available. With Southwest not having enough planes flying alot of flights that are normally non stop are not available. My question is if I can upgrade my boarding at the begining of my trip on the first plane does that carry over to the next plane.

Thank You

Jeff

6 REPLIES 6

Re: up grading boarding position at the gate

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Jsmjeff wrote:

My Chase credit card allows me 4 upgraded boarding passes per year .  They have to be purchased at the gate if available. With Southwest not having enough planes flying alot of flights that are normally non stop are not available. My question is if I can upgrade my boarding at the begining of my trip on the first plane does that carry over to the next plane.

Thank You

Jeff

Unfortunately, on connecting flights, no. You would need to purchase Upgraded Boarding separately for each leg, at each airport gate. 

Jsmjeff
Adventurer C

So basically you would have to spend  an extra $40 per connecting flight because the non stop flights to those destination have been canceled. Not very comforting for having a southwest chase credit card with those benifits cut in have.

@chgoflyer wrote:

@Jsmjeff wrote:

Thank You

Jeff

Unfortunately, on connecting flights, no. You would need to purchase Upgraded Boarding separately for each leg, at each airport gate. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

EarlyBird Check-In might be better for flights with a connection. You won't be get A1-15, you may not even get an A boarding position, but you will be in a better position than people who check-in at 24 hours prior to departure and it applies to both flights of a connecting flight. You would have to pay for it as it's not covered by the credit card benefit. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Jsmjeff
Adventurer C

Thank you middle seat.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Actually, that Chase credit card comes with a $75 Southwest credit annually, which in theory would cover at least three EarlyBird Check-In purchases. 

Jsmjeff
Adventurer C

Ok thank you, did not think of that. Glad I put the question out there.