Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

vaccine

mcvicgd
Explorer C

will I be required to have proof of vaccine to fly in July 2021?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: vaccine

dfwskier
Aviator A

1) depends on where you want to go

2) depends on what the rules are 6 months from now

Who knows what the future brings.?

gsking
Aviator C

There is no requirement for proof of anything to fly right now,  so it's not likely there will be in the future. 

Some countries require proof of negative Covid test to enter,  including the US right now.   The vaccine doesn't change that.   Hopefully it'll change soon. 

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Adding onto above - things are changing rapidly so guess we'll see.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@mcvicgd Just as easy as it is to log into the forum and ask the question, you can google it as well.  But I understand getting an SWA travelers perspective too.  With that said, NO, at this time SWA, nor any other airlines has any requirement that you have to have proof of a vaccine shot(s).  But as mentioned, anything is subject to change tomorrow, let alone in several months.  SWA has a link that lets you know immediately all their COVID related information. 

https://www.southwest.com/coronavirus/

I check this every time I log into SWA for anything.  

Also, having been vaccinated to date doesn't prevent you from contracting the virus and thus, possibly being able to spread it.  But that research is being looked at daily as well.  I think many, myself included, will continue these safe actions, wear a mask, wash hands, social distance, well into next year just to be safe.  I've had the first shot and will get the second shot Feb 10, but it won't change my current behavior because I will have been vaccinated.  

jksobonya
Aviator A

No, and Lord willing this will never become a thing since I don’t have any plans to get the vaccine anytime soon. I am in the very “last” group to get it in my state since I am healthy, work from home, and my line of work is not “essential” enough to require it.

—Jessica

wendykochis
Explorer C

I would like to know if I buy a ticket from  Reno, Nevada to Key West, Florida for a much needed vacation in summer of 2021 for my husband, daughter, myself and grandchildren one is 14 one is 18 (5 total) will we be required to have the Covid vaccine before we travel? We have not gotten it yet, and we may not get it due to health reasons. We have not had the Covid either. Will we lose our  money if the rules change by July when we want to travel if we purchase tickets now, and by July vaccines are required? We have saved a lot of years for this vacation, and can't afford to lose the money if rules change. Does anyone have any answers to my questions? thanks

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@wendykochis wrote:

I would like to know if I buy a ticket from  Reno, Nevada to Key West, Florida for a much needed vacation in summer of 2021 for my husband, daughter, myself and grandchildren one is 14 one is 18 (5 total) will we be required to have the Covid vaccine before we travel? We have not gotten it yet, and we may not get it due to health reasons. We have not had the Covid either. Will we lose our  money if the rules change by July when we want to travel if we purchase tickets now, and by July vaccines are required? We have saved a lot of years for this vacation, and can't afford to lose the money if rules change. Does anyone have any answers to my questions? thanks

There's been no indication from the federal government that proof of vaccine will be required to travel domestically, but you are asking for someone to look in a crystal ball and predict the future.  International is a different story and some other countries have indicated vaccines could be required.

--TheMiddleSeat