Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2021.. WiFi still sucks

JasonCampbell
Explorer C

I know Southwest has no interest in fixing this issue.  We've been complaining about the crappy WiFi since 2017 and SWA hasn't done a thing about it. 

I'm just hoping to prevent other passengers from paying for the WiFi. Save yourself the headache of trying to get the refund and you watch the free TV. The WiFi is crap and you can barely retrieve emails. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: 2021.. WiFi still sucks

dfwskier
Aviator A

Yes, wifi seems to be a continuing problem.

In case you haven't noticed, every airline is in survival mode due to virus.  Last year SW lost over $3,000,000,000 (that's a lot of zeroes) on continuing operations because people stopped flying..

I suspect that SW will eventually fix the wifi problems, but I believe it's attention now is on figuring out how to  stay in business. - as is the case with every airline.

Hurley
Explorer C

The way to grow your business back is to make your customers happy. Free and simple-to-access wi-fi is extremely important to me. Time to see what Alaska Airlines is doing. Honestly, last year it was ok but now, it’s worse than dial up. I fly all the time on SWA and I’m sick and tired of it.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Hurley wrote:

The way to grow your business back is to make your customers happy. Free and simple-to-access wi-fi is extremely important to me. Time to see what Alaska Airlines is doing. Honestly, last year it was ok but now, it’s worse than dial up. I fly all the time on SWA and I’m sick and tired of it.

You are taking to other  customers  here. To provide your opinion to SW, you should contact

customer relations:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

As a fellow customer all I can say is that I have usually been able to get emails but I wouldn't try to VPN or anything like that. 

I have generally stopped using the wifi except for longer flights. I can entertain myself for an hour with the free texting and WhatsApp messaging.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@JasonCampbell Jason, I've experienced the same issue often.  However, your venting about a FREE service.  Honestly, if I was on the SWA business profit team, I'd suggest that we make people pay for in-flight movie, TV, and music.  Why, because people would.  I WOULD.  Although I can't blame SWA for the stiff prices of actually paying for getting to the internet because it appears to be contracted out, I've even paid for that.  Since I rarely fly any other airlines I can't give insight on their internet

Sms531
Explorer A

Jason isn’t venting about a free service... I paid $8 yesterday for wifi service that was excruciatingly slow or just flat out wouldn’t work on my 3 1/2 hour flight.  I was able to read 3 short articles during that flight due to wifi struggles.  So basically I donated $8 to SWA for nothing in return.  Wifi is apparently free for frequent fliers on SWA...but Jason’s point was that he wanted to help people like me who shell out $8 for a product that doesn’t deliver.  Unfortunately, I assumed it would work (!) and didn’t google “SWA wifi sucks” until the aircraft landed and I had cell service in order to find this discussion.   I feel that SWA is stealing $8 a pop from people like me flight after flight, day after day.  Not cool.  

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

If you are unhappy with the service, ask for a refund.

Sms531
Explorer A

I did request a refund and hopefully will get one.  

jksobonya
Aviator A

I concur, I paid for wi-fi out of necessity on Sunday and it works ... barely.

--Jessica