Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

21 Year SWA passenger could be lost?

VulcanFlyer1956
Explorer C

As a frequent flyer across Europe for 15 years and 21 years in America, I was thrilled when I was introduced to Southwest when living in The Bay Area in early 2001. From those early days of walking through a basic security check and up to the gate with a colored plastic sleeve that had a number on it, to now with a smart phone and no paper boarding pass, I've been a loyal Southwest Customer. 

I've laughed and smiled at the antics of the creative airline staff and the legendary, safety announcements. But the last 2 years have created a more frsutrating experience, some of which was forced upon SWA to be fair, by Federal Mandates, but the whole business travel industry has become toxic. I still fly SWA, and did so only a week ago, but left that flight with a feeling, we're just a meal ticket now. 

As a business traveler, I feel we have become the subsidizer's of the airline industry. And while I recognize we are living in extraordinary times, i was truly shocked to see a regular flight I've taken many times before now cost $1,172.95. And that isn't even non stop. Its 2 stops outbound and 2 stops inbound. A total flight time of 13hr 50min. Flying out Monday and return Friday. 

I frankly, was extremely disappointed in SWA price policy, as they were always a fair priced budget airline that was started in Dallas, to serve business customers between 3 Texas cities. I simply cannot justify that business expense. I began looking around and found a local regional airport carrier, offered the same flight timetable, and non-stop for $483.98 return total. That isn't even a close call. Question is if this company can fly A319/320 Airbus full for that price to and from the same City , why not a Boeing 737?  This is beyond my rational thought. 

Southwest had built up an enviable and loyal customer base. I hope this comment reaches upper management, as I fear I'm not the only business traveler reviewing these costs, and making decisions to change my loyality. 

Thank you for reading this. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: 21 Year SWA passenger could be lost?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Supply and demand and not every airline is great for every route. Perhaps you fly another airline for this route and return to Southwest when it's more reasonable. I don't see that as being too crazy. 

This is a customer to customer forum. If you want Southwest to read your comments, use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. 

--TheMiddleSeat

VulcanFlyer1956
Explorer C

Many thanks Middle Seat. Appreciate the feedback. One or two expensive routes I agree I can find alternatives, but if this trend continues, its a slippery slope.. We will see

VulcanFlyer1956

jksobonya
Aviator A

@VulcanFlyer1956 wrote:

As a business traveler, I feel we have become the subsidizer's of the airline industry. And while I recognize we are living in extraordinary times, i was truly shocked to see a regular flight I've taken many times before now cost $1,172.95. And that isn't even non stop. Its 2 stops outbound and 2 stops inbound. A total flight time of 13hr 50min. Flying out Monday and return Friday. 

I read an article yesterday that airlines were increasing prices across the board  - not because of high fuel prices, they claim, but because of fuller planes. I don't necessarily believe that, but I did find this part interesting:

Airlines also limited the number of their least expensive seats earlier in the year in anticipation of strong summer bookings. "We didn't pre-sell the summer at lower (fares), we saved the seats and are now selling them at much higher (fares) and we're happy about that," said Andrew Nocella, chief commercial officer for United.

Source: 6 ABC News 

Make of that what you will ... 

--Jessica

VulcanFlyer1956
Explorer C

@jksobonya wrote:

@VulcanFlyer1956 wrote:

I read an article yesterday that airlines were increasing prices across the board  - not because of high fuel prices, they claim, but because of fuller planes. I don't necessarily believe that, but I did find this part interesting:

Airlines also limited the number of their least expensive seats earlier in the year in anticipation of strong summer bookings. "We didn't pre-sell the summer at lower (fares), we saved the seats and are now selling them at much higher (fares) and we're happy about that," said Andrew Nocella, chief commercial officer for United.

Source: 6 ABC News 

Make of that what you will ... 

--Jessica

Hi Jessica

Very interesting. That also sounds like another way to stick it business travelers who have to use these routes and they know it. The spread of flight prices has always been a way to maximize profit. I get it, it’s a business. But also remember competition is only a click away southwest. I still feel they have the edge, but I’m looking around much more, which isn’t what  they would want. 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

It is a different world today, travel wise, that is. Some times Southwest may not be a fit, (2 stops on any domestic flight, unless the fare is very cheap, is 2 stops too many for this guy.)

dfwskier
Aviator A

Two stops on a domestic flight??? NEVER for me

VulcanFlyer1956
Explorer C

Hi dfwskier, oh me too. I’ve never had 2 stops and that’s the odd thing. There were other flights that were cheaper with only one stop? It’s a routing thing perhaps, but either way it’s all we have to choose from. I bet their  business planners work these out with a master algorithm NASA would be proud of. Appreciate the reply. Happy flying . 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If you are interesting for any more detailed commentary or routing suggestions let us know the city pair. Are you looking at Business Select fares or was this for WGA? Is it an international destination? That's quite a fare you mentioned and I'm curious about the constraints going into it - three weeks advance? international? Business Select?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.