Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

$8 Per Flight for Wifi instead of $8 Per Day

dsuzanne13
Explorer C

To bad i wasnt informed of this before i just paid for the wifi for my first flight...but apparently now instead of paying $8 to have wifi on all your Southwest flights for the entire day you have to pay $8 for every flight that day if you want wifi...so at least $16 for 95% of the flights unless you're lucky enough to be on one of the very rare non stop flights. That's absolutely ridiculous...especially when the Wi-Fi is slow if it works at all most the time - my flight 2 weeks ago, had a layover but my other flight was on the same exact plane (6+ hours on the same plane), and the wifi was broken and not one of the flight attendants even attempted to see what could be done. They were actually rather rude about it. 

After the fiasco this last holiday season (which affected my flights as well) you'd think Southwest would be trying their best to not lose customers. Low cost airline? Nope - It's one of the most expensive anymore. Plus the fact a non stop flight is a rarity, flights are delayed more often than not, the new boarding pass set up is a joke, the flight crews are not nearly as friendly or good as they used to be, and now crappy (regardless of them changing companies) wifi that they wanna charge more for on top of all of it. Just about the only good thing SW has going for them is your first 2 checked bags fly free...but I'm sure that won't last long either at the rate their headed. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: $8 Per Flight for Wifi instead of $8 Per Day

floridaguy
Aviator C

Better check other airline prices before throwing a tantrum. 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest does not hide the fact that wifi is $8 flight:  "Go online to check email, browse social media, or snag a dinner reservation for just $8 (free for our A-List Preferred Members) per device from takeoff to landing."  Sorry you missed it.

SW is doing this because it is adding a new service provider for new planes, and there is apparently no way for the service to transfer from provider A to provider B or the reverse of that.. So an all day service availability is not possible.

Like other things in life, if something is too expensive, don't buy it.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Well said.  With most flights being inside of two hours, I can do without wifi for that amount of time.  Also, considering that the wifi will be unavailable on the beginning and ending leg of the flight, how much real time to you get?

I've said it before - some people would complain about a sunny day.

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

I always get a little chuckle out of it when I read comments like:

"unless you're lucky enough to be on one of the very rare non stop flights"

I believe all Southwest flights are nonstop.... they just may not be nonstop between the cities you prefer.

😉

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yes how true.  Southwest offers a long list of direct destinations but some do require a change of planes.  I am amazed at how polarized people can be when they sit right there and ignore the facts.

I say let 'em go.  Let them fly Frontier or another airline and pay double.  At least they can choose their seat and not be in tears over not sitting beside someone.

jksobonya
Aviator A

<<the new boarding pass set up is a joke>>

What is the new boarding pass set up? 

--Jessica

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Following it too 👀

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

<<the new boarding pass set up is a joke>>

What is the new boarding pass set up? 

--Jessica

Maybe the kiosks? Just guessing until the OP comes back to clarify.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Everyone has the right to their views.  While I do not see the wifi as a big deal, others do.  

In the past, if I had problems with the wifi, I was issued a full refund.  Looking at the amount of time that is available on typical flights, the wifi wasn't my top priority so I stopped buying it.