Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List Standby (Later Flight?)

lilaperua34
New Arrival

Weird question... Can A-List status members go standby on a later flight? I have an obligation I have to attend to so would like to leave later in the day. Prices have gone up quite a bit, so I would rather not pay the difference, and use my A-List status if possible. It’ll look like I miss my fight though if I don’t show up to the airport is my concern.

Thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: A-List Standby (Later Flight?)

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor
Solution

No, the benefit is standby for earlier flights.  Here is the fine print:

"This benefit will be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling prior to the original scheduled departure"

 

In order to fly on a later flight you would need to be confirmed on the flight, something that being on a standby list can't offer you.  Just imagine if you waited to go standby for the last flight of the day then found out you couldn't get on, then what?

 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: A-List Standby (Later Flight?)

dfwskier
Top Contributor

There is the flat tire rule.

 

If you have a flat (or any other thing that causes a delay), and you get to the airport

within 2 hours of your original flight time, then the airline will normally allow you to stand by for a later flight - with no guarantee that you will actually be on that flight.

 

That's why SW allows people to standby for earlier flights - if you don't get on an earlier flight, then you have your original itinerary. Try that with a later flight and fail and you are out of luck.

Re: A-List Standby (Later Flight?)

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

@dfwskier I purposefully didn't mention the flat tire rule since I would consider this situation an abuse of the rule, but I guess everyone can decide for themselves.

 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: A-List Standby (Later Flight?)

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@dfwskier I purposefully didn't mention the flat tire rule since I would consider this situation an abuse of the rule, but I guess everyone can decide for themselves.

 

--TheMiddleSeat


Agree. As I pointed out in my earlier post, there is risk to using the flat tire rule. The risk is that you don't take a flight because all the standby slots get used up.

 

If that happens, I don't know if Southwest tries to put you out the next day or not. Even if so, the risk having to spend an extra night somewhere IMO reduces the viability of playing the flat tire game.

 

I have used the flat tire rule twice. Once because rain covered roads made it impossible to get to DEN on time, and the other was really due to a flat tire on my way to DAL.

Re: A-List Standby (Later Flight?)

gsking
Rising Star

@dfwskier wrote:

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@dfwskier I purposefully didn't mention the flat tire rule since I would consider this situation an abuse of the rule, but I guess everyone can decide for themselves.

 

--TheMiddleSeat


Agree. As I pointed out in my earlier post, there is risk to using the flat tire rule. The risk is that you don't take a flight because all the standby slots get used up.

 

If that happens, I don't know if Southwest tries to put you out the next day or not. Even if so, the risk having to spend an extra night somewhere IMO reduces the viability of playing the flat tire game.

 

I have used the flat tire rule twice. Once because rain covered roads made it impossible to get to DEN on time, and the other was really due to a flat tire on my way to DAL.


So did you cancel the flight, so as not to be a no- show?   Or call and ask for the standby?  

 

I presume it takes a call before the flight leaves, and then an in person visit at check in? 

Re: A-List Standby (Later Flight?)

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@gsking wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@dfwskier I purposefully didn't mention the flat tire rule since I would consider this situation an abuse of the rule, but I guess everyone can decide for themselves.

 

--TheMiddleSeat


Agree. As I pointed out in my earlier post, there is risk to using the flat tire rule. The risk is that you don't take a flight because all the standby slots get used up.

 

If that happens, I don't know if Southwest tries to put you out the next day or not. Even if so, the risk having to spend an extra night somewhere IMO reduces the viability of playing the flat tire game.

 

I have used the flat tire rule twice. Once because rain covered roads made it impossible to get to DEN on time, and the other was really due to a flat tire on my way to DAL.


So did you cancel the flight, so as not to be a no- show?   Or call and ask for the standby?  

 

I presume it takes a call before the flight leaves, and then an in person visit at check in? 


Nope. You just go to the airport and tell them that you missed your flight. If memory serves you do have to get to the airport within 2 hours of the original departure time.

If you get there too late, you could be no showed.

 

If you call in, the only option provided is cancellation. I learned that with my DAL flat tire.

Re: A-List Standby (Later Flight?)

SWFlyer007
Rising Star

@TheMiddleSeat   those sneaky fine prints.