Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A federal judge in Florida struck down on Monday the Biden administration's mask mandate

dfwskier
Aviator A
17 REPLIES 17

Re: A federal judge in Florida struck down on Monday the Biden administration's mask mandate

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Don't get too excited yet...

"The judge sent the issue back to the CDC. It was not clear whether the judge's order would take immediate effect and the Transportation Security Administration's order for the mask mandate appeared to still be in effect."

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/us-judge-rules-mask-mandate-transport-unlawful-overturning-...

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: A federal judge in Florida struck down on Monday the Biden administration's mask mandate

dfwskier
Aviator A

Looks like the judge's order did take immediate effect.

"the Biden administration official said Monday night. "In the meantime, today's court decision means CDC's public transportation masking order is not in effect at this time. Therefore, TSA will not enforce its Security Directives and Emergency Amendment requiring mask use on public transportation and transportation hubs at this time. CDC recommends that people continue to wear masks in indoor public transportation settings."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/18/politics/cdc-mask-mandate-ruling/index.html

bec102896
Aviator A

Wow that escalated quickly. Southwest said masks are now optional. On my current flight people started cheering. Here is the press release:

7FB06154-9F25-4A57-98D0-715ABBE42548.png

jksobonya
Aviator A

It's glorious!!! 😁

--Jessica

MarcelM
Explorer B

Disappointed in Southwest for jumping on the bandwagon.

For the first time in two years, I planned to fly on Southwest next week.  That will be cancelled.

Only 36% of Americans think it's time for people to stop using masks and quarantines so that life can get back to normal after COVID-19, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted between Jan. 31 and Feb. 7.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@MarcelM Your first flight in 2 years. This morning, on my 28th flight on Southwest this year, you could count on one hand the number of people wearing masks. The flight was completely full so that's a lot of people saying that they do not want to wear masks. Not sure who did that poll, but evidence seems to indicate otherwise.

I was as pro-mask as anyone, but times have changed. I will, however, be getting my fourth vaccine this coming weekend.

MarcelM
Explorer B

Depends where you live. 

The state where I live dropped the mask mandate a month or two ago.  Everyone is still wearing masks in stores, etc.  Lots even wear masks outside.  This is a educated population.

bwinograd
Explorer B

It is unfortunate that Southwest, and virtually all other airlines, acted so quickly.  A single federal judge in Florida should not be making public health decisions for an entire country, with businesses falling in line for the money to be gained.  Contrary to the SWA statement, this is not just a decision for one's personal health; what about others on a plane or in an airport?   Why not let the CDC have the extra two weeks it sought in order to assess the latest covid variation impact?  That problem aside, do the unions representing airline workers agree with the no-restrictions policy?  At a minimum, for the benefit or workers and passengers, especially those with underlying medical risks or age-exposure, can't SWA develop an announcement making it clear that masks and respect for others continue to be recommended?   Last, what about people who were already on flights or who bought tickets for future flights?   Did SWA really need to make its decision so fast?   Yes, some people cheered, but others have real concerns.  SWA's customer relations gets a "D-minus" here.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bwinograd wrote:

It is unfortunate that Southwest, and virtually all other airlines, acted so quickly.  A single federal judge in Florida should not be making public health decisions for an entire country,  

The judge DID NOT make a public health decision.

The judge DID make a decision that the CDC rule was not legal.