Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: A federal judge in Florida struck down on Monday the Biden administration's mask mandate

bwinograd
Explorer B

Re: A federal judge in Florida struck down on Monday the Biden administration's mask mandate

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bwinograd wrote:

About the judge:  https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a39753211/mask-mandate-airplanes-trump-judge/?source=...

Read all about the things Charles Pierce has written, and explain  why anyone would think he would say anything other than the rubbish he said.

https://www.esquire.com/author/7884/charles-p-pierce/

Pierce is not an unbiased source of information

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MarcelM wrote:

Disappointed in Southwest for jumping on the bandwagon.

For the first time in two years, I planned to fly on Southwest next week.  That will be cancelled.

I guess you won't be travelling anywhere then because every major  airline plus Amtrak has dropped the mandate. I'm not sure about Greyhound.

Me? Well I have something north of 70 flights since the pandemic began. The only time I felt at risk was the time   that  I had to ride a train packed with people at the Denver airport.

MarcelM
Explorer B

https://fortune.com/2022/04/19/us-flight-mask-mandate-suspended-risk-covid-omicron/

Airplane filtration

... a plane’s effective filtration system leaves the danger of catching COVID from air that has not yet been filtered. For a passenger, that might come from contact with airborne droplets from someone close by, such as a neighboring passenger or someone traveling to and from different parts of the plane.

Planes also turn off their filtration systems during boarding and deplaning, as well as during refueling stops in transit. These periods are the points when most passengers are likely moving around the plane as they handle their luggage, which may increase the risk of transmission.

In addition, filtration systems may not be as good—if they exist at all—during other parts of the air travel process, such as when passengers line up on the jet bridge that connects the airport gate to the plane

But a plane’s effective filtration system leaves the danger of catching COVID from air that has not yet been filtered. For a passenger, that might come from contact with airborne droplets from someone close by, such as a neighboring passenger or someone traveling to and from different parts of the plane.

Planes also turn off their filtration systems during boarding and deplaning, as well as during refueling stops in transit. These periods are the points when most passengers are likely moving around the plane as they handle their luggage, which may increase the risk of transmission.

In addition, filtration systems may not be as good—if they exist at all—during other parts of the air travel process, such as when passengers line up on the jet bridge that connects the airport gate to the plane.

Do masks help prevent COVID spreading on a plane?

A mask serves two purposes: It prevents a COVID carrier from transmitting the virus to other people, and protects the wearer against catching COVID from someone else. Masks differ in terms of their level of protection, especially regarding more transmissible COVID variants like Omicron, with N95 m...

Because of the difficulty of determining how and when someone on a flight may have caught COVID, we don’t have a clear picture of how easy it is to catch COVID on a plane. Yet some early studies suggest that masking on flights did help to prevent transmission, at least early in the pandemic. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

The administration offered no resistance. No attempt to appeal. Heck, they didn't even attempt to stall a day or two. The administration wanted to drop the mandate, and this gave them the political cover they felt they need.

As for educated, I have a PhD, and I'm a well recognized researcher in my field so, um, in my best Gen X voice, whatever...

MarcelM
Explorer B

This is not true

The administration, at the time of announcement and continuing today, recommends masks.  Medical authorities recommend masks.

Why are adults acting like children and insisting on not following recommended medical practices?  What about your fellow human beings that are elderly and immunocompromised?  What kind of society are we becoming when we don't care that our actions can injure and harm others?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@MarcelM wrote:

Disappointed in Southwest for jumping on the bandwagon.

For the first time in two years, I planned to fly on Southwest next week.  That will be cancelled.

I guess you won't be travelling anywhere then because every major  airline plus Amtrak has dropped the mandate. I'm not sure about Greyhound.

Me? Well I have something north of 70 flights since the pandemic began. The only time I felt at risk was the time   that  I had to ride a train packed with people at the Denver airport.

I do usually walk at ATL in the same scenario (that was before pandemic) but DEN unfortunately doesn’t have a pedestrian pathway. Probably good with the mile high thin air, people would be passing out thinking they can walk that far. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

karasalazar
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone, we are closing this thread for commenting since the conversation is getting off-topic.

Kara
Community Manager
Southwest Airlines Community