Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Alcohol service returns this summer

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I can't seem to find anything official from Southwest on their media or blog channels, but USA Today has the report (albeit missing quite a few details):

The first flights to see the return of booze: Hawaii flights. Southwest said it will start selling beer and red wine on flights between the mainland and Hawaii on June 24.

On July 14, it will begin selling beer, red and white wine, vodka and whiskey on all but its shortest flights (those 251 miles and longer).

Southwest also announced that it will resume serving complimentary coffee on all flights 251 miles and longer beginning June 24.

Also:

Southwest said it will begin accepting its famous drink coupons, doled out to frequent fliers after completing 10 flights or to passengers buying its pricey "business select'' tickets, when drink service returns. The airline is normally strict about expiration dates but the airline said Thursday it will accept printed coupons with a 2020 or 2021 expiration date through the end of the year.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Alcohol service returns this summer

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Going to make a lot of people happy. Thanks for the update @chgoflyer

--TheMiddleSeat

stagmonster
Explorer C

Boy could I use it . . . 3 kids under 6 and a single parent have sent me over the edge.  MDW to OAK has never taken this long before.

bec102896
Aviator A

Thanks for the update! I know several people who will like this news. 

I wonder if they will send coupons to those who completed 10+ flights during the pause of alcohol drink service or will it just restart where you left off before the pause or reset everyone to 0/10

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Just so I can be the first to complain: "whiskey and vodka"? I want Bailey's. 

Actually, much more of interest to me is when I can get Coke Zero again instead of Diet Coke.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@bwallet wrote:

Just so I can be the first to complain

-_-

Alcohol service returns this summer

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Thanks for the update!   I'm not a big drinker on flights, but on occasion have enjoyed their IPA's.  I hope they keep mixing it up and don't get stuck on just one.  So since bwallet was the first to complain, I guess I'm the second, lol. 

gsking
Aviator C

Guess my flight next week to Hawaii won't be quite as exciting.   

Oh well,  workarounds...

jksobonya
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

The airline is normally strict about expiration dates but the airline said Thursday it will accept printed coupons with a 2020 or 2021 expiration date through the end of the year.

Yes!! I have 3 drink coupons from 2020 I've been keeping in my wallet - good to know I will be able to use them later this year!

--Jessica