Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

BWI oversized luggage area

JustMHO
Explorer C

Anyone know what the "attendant" is supposed to be doing at the oversized luggage area at BWI Southwest? The person sits behind a couple of movable barriers, usually texting or asleep. I've never seen them actually move anything off the ramp, even if it is crowded. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: BWI oversized luggage area

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Jealous? Sounds like a good gig

--TheMiddleSeat

JustMHO
Explorer C

Jealous? LOL, no. I prefer to do my texting, gum chewing, or sleeping in less public places. 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

"BWI" and "Efficient Baggage Claim", A true oxymoron. In the attendant's defense they have no idea when or from which flight oversized bags will roll out on that conveyor. Could they be more helpful? Yes, but refer to the first sentence of my post.

Safe travels 

JustMHO
Explorer C

It is unclear how they can help when they are surrounded by barricades.

The ramp is pitifully small for oversized items, and the attendant just sits there and does nothing to help keep it organized. Are they supposed to offload? Can they provide any information? What exactly is their purpose for being there? They're not even positioned to be able to see what's going on with the items coming on the ramp. Ridiculous and inefficient use of space, and waste of money to pay someone to just sit doing absolutely nothing.

In some airports, there is someone to offload the oversized item off the ramp, in other airports, the ramp is sized so bags/items can be sorted by the owner easily. (think airports serving ski areas).

I'd love to know what they're supposed to be doing. Next time in BWI baggage claim, I'll ask them.