Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage Claim-BWI

TIm9as
New Arrival

Has anyone else experienced long wait times at the BWI Baggage Claim for Southwest?   For the last couple of years the Southwest BWI baggage claim has been slow, but this last trip set a record.  We waited for over an hour for our bags.     

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Baggage Claim-BWI

elijahbrantley
Rising Star

I do not have that experience there, but I have noticed that things can get dicey at Southwest-heavy airports. For example, pre-COVID, I always expected to wait longer at HOU for my bags that I might elsewhere. There were a couple of reasons (from my view): 

1. We would always be flying in on a Friday night (busy).
  2. I could not begin to tell you how many flights would be coming in right around the same time, putting pressure on the crews.

Of course, the airline no doubt tries to plan for this, but if there are delays involved, sometimes the number of arrivals can skyrocket at any given moment.

I have only ever grabbed a checked bag from BWI maybe once, and I remember the wait being reasonable. There might be others here who have more extensive experience specifically with that airport.

-A List Preferred, Companion Pass holder, Community Champion.

DancingDavidE
Top Contributor

@TIm9as wrote:

Has anyone else experienced long wait times at the BWI Baggage Claim for Southwest?   For the last couple of years the Southwest BWI baggage claim has been slow, but this last trip set a record.  We waited for over an hour for our bags.     

Maybe a little longer, but never an hour that's obviously in the category of something went wrong not normal timeliness. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@TIm9as wrote:

Maybe a little longer, but never an hour that's obviously in the category of something went wrong not normal timeliness. 

Ground stops can cause this. Airline employees will not be unloading  baggage from aircraft when there is the risk of  lightening strikes.

Aracely
New Arrival

Surprised by how many fellow fans seem unwilling to make the trip, but assuming I don't lose all track of time at Max's this afternoon, we'll be there.

Foxyepoxy
New Arrival

This is my home airport and we have the slowest baggage service of any airport I have ever experienced, only it’s been worse than ever during Covid. Not sure who is at fault - BWI or Southwest. I’d love an explanation beyond what I have been told which is that our gates are close to baggage claim therefore one walks there quicker and thus the wait seems longer. I’m not buying it.