Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage Handlers

Explorer C

watching from my seat I watch baggage handler throwing luggage on conveyor to be loaded into plane, trying to break anything that may be fragile in the bags. I was not the only one on flight which observed these actions.  I thing the handlers need to be retrained and know that there could be fragile peices in the bags and that that actions could damage contents inside the luggage. to throw and handle luggage without regard to what he is handling and not care about being observed doing so shows the employee is not really enjoying the opportunity for employment.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Baggage Handlers

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry you witnessed a baggage handler who was throwing luggage hard. Hopefully your baggage arrived undamaged. I would share this concern with Southwest directly though one of these contact methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint that way they can pass on the complaint to the appropriate airport management for review. 

mike3890
Explorer C

If u think the baggage handlers or ramp agents care about your luggage- u are wrong.  I have seen bags dragged, thrown, dropped, as well as strollers and car seats dropped out the side of the aircraft.  Not to mention when u are waiting at baggage claim the people that get your bags show up 20 minutes after the flight arrived- if u think they care think again.  Just keep on waiting at baggage claim- your not waiting for your bags your waiting for lazy people.  Book a morning flight your more likely to get your bags in a timely manner- a late evening flight when the aircraft is staying overnight- prepare to wait.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

The handlers have more than one flight to load for an on-time departure. Whenever you make the decision to check your bag, there is a chance damage may occur. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

totally agree with your assessment on this.  but that damage doesn't have to be because not just one, the majority of bag handlers don't give a hoot about your bag or items.  It's like the police, they know if they are sued the city pays for the settlement, so lives the baggage handler, they know you the passenger assume the risk of putting your bag on the belt, they will never pay.