Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Best ways to show kindness and gratitude

Mats
Explorer C

It has been a rough few years.

Many Southwest cabin crews have seemed understandably frustrated and exhausted. I know that it is not my job to make them happy, but I wonder what I can do to at least show appreciation.

I always try to smile, say hello, say "please" and "thank you." I take off my headphones and watch the safety demonstration. I know to say how I would like coffee served. I clean up around myself, cross my seatbelt before I disembark.

What else would make me a better passenger for these hardworking but drained crew? I would love to hear from other frequent travellers and staff.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Best ways to show kindness and gratitude

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

Southwest employees are known to be in it for the 'people' business because they love to meet and help all kinds of people! Keep doing what you are doing! Every little thing makes a difference. You could try to go up to them and thank them. Something I like to do is get a thank you card for a crewmember/agent (maybe even throw in a Starbucks gift card since those are gold in the aviation world) - for the people on the ramp, I like to write a thank you note on a bag tag which I then affix to my checked bags. Little things like that really mean the world to the people of Southwest. Keep in mind, though, that many absolutely LUV their job, including the good and bad days that come along with it. And, if you feel someone has gone above and beyond, tweet it to Southwest or email/phone them to let them know! Gratitude goes a long way, and employees get recognized because of 'love letters' from customers, which makes their day even more.

maryh1959
Adventurer C

I always give the flight attendents a big bag of chocolates. They really appreciate them.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I've had a few flights where, as I exit the plane, I tell the captain that I'm getting pretty tired of these flights arriving ahead of schedule.  There is that awkward moment, then they bust out laughing.

A little dry humor gets 'em laughing.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Mats wrote:

It has been a rough few years.

Many Southwest cabin crews have seemed understandably frustrated and exhausted. I know that it is not my job to make them happy, but I wonder what I can do to at least show appreciation.

I always try to smile, say hello, say "please" and "thank you." I take off my headphones and watch the safety demonstration. I know to say how I would like coffee served. I clean up around myself, cross my seatbelt before I disembark.

What else would make me a better passenger for these hardworking but drained crew? I would love to hear from other frequent travellers and staff.

My wife likes to bring a box of Dunkin Donuts, or other small treat.

My daughter (6 y/o) is great at crossing the seatbelts and collecting our trash, she wants to be a big helper too, it's great.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

I took a flight yesterday and I brought some Christmas chocolates… a box for the pilots to share in the cockpit and a box for the flight attendants. They were very appreciative and it was a small way to show my gratitude for the great service they always provide!

floridaguy
Aviator C

I have to wonder if those chocolates ever get eaten or tossed.  I'm wondering if the employees would consume food given to them by passengers.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I have to wonder if those chocolates ever get eaten or tossed.  I'm wondering if the employees would consume food given to them by passengers.

It only takes one of the three or four FA's to go for it 🙂

I have definitely seen them eat the donuts.

It isn't like pulling out a baggie of casserole from my pocket.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

"It isn't like pulling out a baggie of casserole from my pocket."

I'm just picturing this...and laughing out loud 🤣.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tappingmom1 wrote:

"It isn't like pulling out a baggie of casserole from my pocket."

I'm just picturing this...and laughing out loud 🤣.

Pocket bacon on the other hand which I am known for works out fairly well.