Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Better Masks if a passenger forgot theirs - missed marketing opportunity

DianeH168
Explorer C

My husband was recently on a flight and forgot his mask in his rental car.  He was provided a mask when he asked for one prior to boarding - and it was terrible.  It was white cotton, very uncomfortable and looked like a pair of underwear.  He wore it, but it was not a great experience. Looking at it, I'm not sure it even was within minimal CDC recommendations.

To me this is a missed marketing opportunity from a company that is so clever with advertising and customer experience.  Why not take the opportunity to design and distribute a mask that is so "cool" that people would want one? They would be likely to wear it without complaining on the flight. I'll bet they'd wear it in other situations too if designed right - and let's face it, masks are not going away soon, at least not while traveling.  Think of the advertising (and word of mouth experience) opportunities! 

Just a thought - you can make lemonade out of this situation. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Better Masks if a passenger forgot theirs - missed marketing opportunity

jksobonya
Aviator A

Actually, mask mandates on public transit like airplanes are set to expire on September 13. I haven't heard if there will be any extensions, but considering where we are with vaccinations (a good place overall) and the ongoing controversies / displeasure of masks in general, I would hope that we won't have to wear them much longer unless it is your personal choice.

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

I got one of those yesterday. It was the same type of mask You see on tens of millions of people.

besides, what would you do if the passenger says “ I’ m not paying for something I can get for free”

edit add: another besides -- it would slow down the boarding process to "sell" stuff at the front of the plane,  as well as expose employees to more contact to accept payment, while doing all it can to minimize that exposure during the drink serving process.

Assuntaa54
Explorer C

The tourism economy has been heavily hit by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and measures introduced to contain its spread. Depending on the duration of the crisis, revised scenarios indicate that the potential shock could range between a 60-80% decline in the international tourism economy in 2020. Beyond immediate measures to support the tourism sector, countries are also shifting to develop recovery measures.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Assuntaa54 wrote:

the potential shock could range between a 60-80% decline in the international tourism economy in 2020.  

2020 ?????????????/

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Is this really a suggestion? I would think your husband would be thrilled he got to fly since he is the one who lost his mask. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion