Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boeing 737 8 Max

ffalconne11
Explorer C

Hoping we hear more, rather quickly, about Southwest Airline's decisions about this aircraft after the second, very similar, air crash.  

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Boeing 737 8 Max

SWDigits
Aviator A
This article references comments from Southwest:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/southwest-says-it-remains-confident-in-its-fleet-of-boeing-planes-...

Customer | Home airport DCA

jrosenberger
Explorer C

We have a flight to Maui in May. If I understand correctly, this is the plane Southwest has chosen for their new service to Hawaii. If I felt I needed to rebook on another plane, I don’t think there would be another option. I used my reward points to purchase this flight for my family, we have been saving and planning for quite a long time. I’m feeling uncomfortable and really need to understand how Southwest is going to address this and what my options are.

** Update, all of our flights are 700 or 800 models. I had read somewhere about the use of the MAX to Hawaii but it may not have been correct.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jrosenberger wrote:

We have a flight to Maui in May. If I understand correctly, this is the plane Southwest has chosen for their new service to Hawaii. 

I looked at four departure dates in March for the OAK HNL flight, and all four flights used 737-800s --and not 737 Max 8s.

jrosenberger
Explorer C

You rock, I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks a lot!

ERoz
Explorer C

I agree. And SWA is not handling this well so far.  They are standing by the planes, all well and good until one nose dives into the ground. I am on a flight this week and it says 737-700 so I feel ok about it. Want to make sure they dont' switch it to the Max plane. You can click on your flight # on the website and it will show you plane info. It doesn't work on their app though (tried to orig do it on my phone). The good news is SWA has no cancel or change fees but I'd seriously consider another airline and pay the cost if I was on the Max 8. It's a problem and they need to ground those planes and not take anymore until it's fixed.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ERoz wrote:

The good news is SWA has no cancel or change fees but I'd seriously consider another airline and pay the cost if I was on the Max 8. It's a problem and they need to ground those planes and not take anymore until it's fixed.

The problem is that there is a lot on conjecture and very few facts at the moment. No one knows what, if anything, there is to fix.

By all means if you feel uncomfortable switch. I'll be on a Southwest Max 8 a week from today, and am not switching. 

JorVilla44
Explorer C

I have a flight this Thursday.  I am trying to determine which plane I am flying from Austin, TX to Orlando, FL but my flight #1823 currently does not show me any information on my plane type. 

Is this information updated closer to my flight or is there a way I need to navigate to view this information (user error)?

I believe the customers should have this information ahead of time so we can make an informed decision on our travel plans.

Thanks,

Jorge

dfwskier
Aviator A

@JorVilla44 wrote:

I have a flight this Thursday.  I am trying to determine which plane I am flying from Austin, TX to Orlando, FL but my flight #1823 currently does not show me any information on my plane type. 

Is this information updated closer to my flight or is there a way I need to navigate to view this information (user error)?

I believe the customers should have this information ahead of time so we can make an informed decision on our travel plans.

Thanks,

Jorge

When trying to book a flight, on   the page where you pick which flight you want to take, click on the flight number and you will learn on time stats for the flight as well as which type of plane is scheduled to be used.

mmcmap
Explorer C

You cannot rely on the flight information provided when you booked.  Airlines change planes all day every day depending on mechanical problems, weather, etc.  This may not seem like an issue to some but to the rest of us we are putting our families at risk when we fly on Southwest.  This is serious folks - people have died and the United States has chosen not to address the problem.  Remember this is an administration that does not believe in climate change for God's sake - they will turn a blind eye to this to preserve Southwest's profits.  China, Indonesia and Singapore have grounded these planes - is the United States really not as safety conscious as those countries? Are US lives not as valuable?  This has all the makings of a tragedy, a mass tort, and a bankrupt airline.  There is nothing more valuable than your passenger's safety and their goodwill. Lots of us are booked on these flights in the next week and looking to fly other airlines.  Southwest is not an option because any of us can be put on one of these planes at any time if we fly this airline - this is classic "Assumption of the Risk". Who among us is willing to assume that risk for our families?