Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Business Select Free Drink

Jwalsh3rd
Adventurer A

I have an iOS wallet and store boarding passes there.  I have now started emailing my boarding pass to me.  It survived the flight departure and shows the boarding pass electronically.  If you get a strictly by the rules flight attendant this should do the trick, iOS or android

outnumbered2
Explorer C

I flew on the 14th and I was business select. No service was allowed due to a possible bumpy flight. After the flight, I asked customer service via an email if they could extend my business select drink coupon or swap it out. I let them know that the pilot wouldnt allow the attendants to serve for their safety, rightfully so. I was told in a reply, well we hoped you enjoyed the other business select benefits, but no. Nice work SWA.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, Business Select drink coupons are good for the day of travel only.

@outnumbered2 wrote:

I flew on the 14th and I was business select. No service was allowed due to a possible bumpy flight. After the flight, I asked customer service via an email if they could extend my business select drink coupon or swap it out. I let them know that the pilot wouldnt allow the attendants to serve for their safety, rightfully so. I was told in a reply, well we hoped you enjoyed the other business select benefits, but no. Nice work SWA.

Background: Initially, BS drink coupons were good only on the original flight, but a class-action lawsuit caused that to be changed to "day of" and ultimately cost Southwest millions of dollars in lawyer's fees and replacement coupons. So Southwest doesn't offer replacements now when drink service is not offered. 😉

I have found, however, that many FAs are sometimes generous with free drinks. If you have a chance, you could mention your experience and/or offer the coupon on your next flight and see if they'll accommodate you. I'd guess you have a 50/50 chance of receiving your drink for free.

Secret pro-tip: Sometimes early morning BS fliers leave their unwanted drink coupons at check-in kiosks, so they may be used by passengers traveling later that day. 😉

cstactnt
Explorer C

I have been denied using my business select coupon on my last three business select flights.  Twice because they say they don't have enought time as it is a short flight.  Then if so, figure out another way to use the coupon. Then one time due to some "turbulent weather ahead" that never ever even came close to turbulent weather.  I think all this is about corporate looking for ways to not only give out free cocktails, but to not even serve free drinks, etc.  This is getting a bit annoying to say the least.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@cstactnt wrote:

I have been denied using my business select coupon on my last three business select flights.  Twice because they say they don't have enought time as it is a short flight.  Then if so, figure out another way to use the coupon. Then one time due to some "turbulent weather a turbulance to ATChead" that never ever even came close to turbulent weather.  I think all this is about corporate looking for ways to not only give out free cocktails, but to not even serve free drinks, etc.  This is getting a bit annoying to say the least.

Sorry to hear that you are annoyed, but the reality is that pilots report turbu;ent conditions to ATC, which in turn relays the reports to other pilots flying the same routes. Those pilots then heed the warnings, an have the flight attendents sit.. Better that than flight attendents hitting their bloody heads on the ceiling panels.