Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

COVID dog exposure to passengers, mask for dogs

Explorer B

I was seated at the window and the flight person place a large dog and owner in may row. No mask on the dog that was touching my person.

i asked if the dog could have its own row and I was told “the dog has priority over people and I would have to move. I quickly moved to a different row. I don’t expect the airline to do anything so I have been moving my weekly flights to other airlines as much as possible to prevent the repeat of the same treatment. Does anyone else have a opinion.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: COVID dog exposure to passengers, mask for dogs

Explorer B

Are dogs tested for COVID before flight?

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

I don't think there is a policy requiring testing. They do however need to have seen their vet and be up to date on vaccinations.

bec102896
Aviator A

Southwest has an open seating policy meaning the dog and the owner can sit anywhere they want just like you did southwest won't make them move because you didn't like the dog in your row they will offer for you to move which is usually how it works on other airlines. the other airlines will reaccommodate the customer who is allergic or doesn't like the dog instead of moving the dog at least in my experience. 

Dogs and masks: I am not aware of any airline that mandates animals wear a mask so it wouldn't matter if you were on Delta, United, or American dogs can be on the plane without a mask and they could be seated right next to you. Keep in mind Southwest blocks middle seats while American and United don't so you could end up even closer to a dog on those airlines. 

If you would like to share your feedback with southwest directly you can do so though one of these methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

-Blake

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I’m sure it’s just as easy having a dog wear a mask as it is a 2 year old child. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

But while there is no mask policy for dogs, there is a mask policy for children 2 years old and above. The policy does not consider ease of use.

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

@161069484 wrote:

I was seated at the window and the flight person place a large dog and owner in may row. No mask on the dog that was touching my person.

i asked if the dog could have its own row and I was told “the dog has priority over people and I would have to move. I quickly moved to a different row. I don’t expect the airline to do anything so I have been moving my weekly flights to other airlines as much as possible to prevent the repeat of the same treatment. Does anyone else have a opinion.

I hate dogs. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I am unaware of anyone selling masks for dogs.

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@ipsedixit wrote:

I hate dogs. 

SophiaP
Explorer C

I hate dogs??? I love dogs more than people. Dogs are better than people. Your statement is a perfect example of why I feel this way.