Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: COVID19-IS Southwest Blocking off Seats between passengers to abide by Social Distancing?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Before you comment, I'm not shouting, I'm waving my hand! 

Re: COVID19-IS Southwest Blocking off Seats between passengers to abide by Social Distancing?

mon
Explorer C

I was on a cross- country flight today that was packed, and Southwest was not enforcing or allowing social distancing. Yes, they are not requiring you to sit next to someone, but if you are on the aisle, you have someone next to you, and you'll have people directly in front and behind you. And if a family is in front of you or behind you, then the whole row will be filled. I was surrounded by people. Not everyone is wearing a mask.

For a long time I have been a dedicated SW customer, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DON'T FLY SOUTHWEST AT THIS TIME.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Flew PDX - LAS - SAN yesterday.

35-40 passengers on the first flight.  55-60 passengers on the second flight.  Everyone was wearing masks.  And everyone had their own row.  Yes, someone was sitting directly in front of me and directly behind me. 

Was I concerned?  Not at all.  I had a mask on.  They had a mask on.  I used hand sanitizer during the flight, didn't touch my face, and washed my hands once I landed at my final destination.

Easy-peasy and I felt safe.  Thank you SWA for your new policies.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I just got off a DAL/MDW flight. There were about 40 on board.

Southwest controlled boarding in order to maintain 6 foot spacing..

The airline requested that passengers not sit in middle seats. Of course a family of three would be able to sit together.

Everyone wore masks.

I did not feel at risk.

BenY
Explorer C

I *wish* Southwest would, during this COVID time, list how many seats have been booked. Then I would just choose the emptiest flight. The fewer the people the lower the risk.

As for masks I would never fly these days without N95. Surgical/cloth masks capture your own droplets pretty well but when you inhale air comes in the sides. Not so with an N95 assuming you get the seal right. Good ones are available they just cost 15X more than they did a year ago.

gsking
Aviator C

They have a list you can see already...it's the one with the prices on it.  The cheapest flight has the most empty seats.

And why would it really matter, if you have an N95 mask?   If you feel it's useful, and are going to wear one, why exactly does it matter how many extra people you're near?   Either it works, or it doesn't.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

That list is only relevant if you book late.  If I book 2 weeks out, then I might get a wanna get away price, meaning less populated. 

Understanding that it's not just, breath, that you can contract it from, all could be on hands, clothes, (we now know shoes track the virus in), and so on.  In most cases, I'm sure all people will take precautions with not touching you, but inadvertent touching and rubbing happen.  I've had a middle seat and have gotten accidental contact from both sides.  Unless gloves are passed out as you board and discarded as you exit, there can be a contraction of the virus that doesn't come from a breath or a cough. 

I'm not taking sides, (well a little bit) but I'd not sit next to someone right I didn't come with, sorry.  You do have a point, and we appreciate your comment.

Dowstie
Explorer C

Instead of blocking middle seats, both the front and back several rows are blocked, forcing all of us closer together - so much for social distancing!  Two flights in a row!