Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

COVID19-IS Southwest Blocking off Seats between passengers to abide by Social Distancing?

robrob
Explorer B

Due to COVID19 - see all drink service is eliminated on flights...which makes sense. 

However, how is Southwest dealing with Social Distancing by each passengers on flights?

Are they blocking off certain seats (middle) before boarding between passengers?  

Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: COVID19-IS Southwest Blocking off Seats between passengers to abide by Social Distancing?

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

Hello,

Considering flight capacity is extraordinarily low at the moment, it is very easy to social distance on a plane right now. Eventually, planes will need to fly at full capacity again. When that might happen is anyone's guess. IMO, we can't be afraid to sit next to each other forever. We are going to have to learn to practice safe hygiene a little more than we typically would. 

--Jessica

Re: COVID19-IS Southwest Blocking off Seats between passengers to abide by Social Distancing?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

This doesn't solve the issue.  IMO, (and I respect yours) I'm not ready, and I'm sure many others aren't ready to sit by somebody we don't know their social distance behavior.  Yes, when full capacity happens, and yes it will, until then SW can be pro-active to social distance practices.  There are flight attendants, they can assist.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I am not sure if they are enforcing any social distancing with seating, but I am not sure they would have to.  That said, you can find info about what they ARE doing here and here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Airlines that assign seats are blocking out middle seats to prevent forcing two people to sit next to each other. Southwest's open seating removes the need to block seats, people will just sit apart from each other. A couple or family of 3 flying together may actually want to sit next to each other and blocking middle seats would prevent this. Southwest's current seating plan provides flexibility and safety.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Airlines that assign seats are blocking out middle seats to prevent forcing two people to sit next to each other. Southwest's open seating removes the need to block seats, people will just sit apart from each other. A couple or family of 3 flying together may actually want to sit next to each other and blocking middle seats would prevent this. Southwest's current seating plan provides flexibility and safety.

--TheMiddleSeat

With other airlines who block middle seats its bad news for those who like to sit in the middle seat 😜

davedurfee
Explorer B

Why can't Southwest answer a simple question?  If the plane is sold out or almost full, will Southwest truly expect people who don't know one another to sit side by side???  It's one thing to say, gosh folks, just spread out.  But I have a flight on Memorial Day.  I'm expecting that there will be passengers for every seat that Southwest has available.  

So... in order to maximize revenue, WILL SOUTHWEST IGNORE SOCIAL DISTANCING AND REQUIRE PASSENGERS TO SIT BESIDE PASSENGERS THAT THEY DON'T KNOW???

dfwskier
Aviator A

What's with three identical posts?

gsking
Aviator C

I think your expectation that every seat will be full is quite ludicrous.   And SHOUTING just reinforces that notion. 

You have your ticket... why not wait a few weeks to see what happens, rather than getting apoplectic?   Think back 6 weeks.... was anything the same as it is now? 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I see somebody from SW answers many questions and concerns... WHERE IS THE ANSWER TO THIS ONE?  I'd like to know myself.