Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I change passengers on cancelled flight?

brocktoon
Explorer C

A friend recently had to cancel an un-refundable flight reservation for himself and two companions. He now would like to rebook and, in doing so, use his flight credit but change one or both of the companions who would be flying with him. Is this possible (or is there an alternative solution)? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Can I change passengers on cancelled flight?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Travel funds are connected to a specific passenger. If passenger A cancels their flight, passenger B cannot use the travel fund. Passenger A must use the travel fund within one year of the original purchase date. The only way to add a new passenger to the new trip is to pay for their ticket with cash, points, or a LUV voucher, which is different than a travel fund. 

--TheMiddleSeat

brocktoon
Explorer C

Thanks for your reply. But are travel funds tied to each passenger individually (and exclusively) even if a single passenger (my friend) paid for the flight's tickets for all three passengers? I'm guessing so, although I don't really get it. From your answer, it appears my friend's only recourse besides paying more cash or using points is to seek a LUV voucher...but I don't see how that would even apply here...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Travel funds are connected to a specific passenger and can be used ONLY by that passenger. LUV Vouchers do not apply to this situation and there's no option to request one.

I understand what you want to happen here, but it's not going to happen.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Or your friend could see whether or not  the passengers who got "no cost" travel funds  would be willing to reimburse some or all of the cost.

brocktoon
Explorer C

Ah, OK. If each of the other friends got say $450 in travel funds as a result of the particular booking my friend made for them, are they independently able to use those funds for themselves on another flight of their own choosing?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@brocktoon wrote:

Ah, OK. If each of the other friends got say $450 in travel funds as a result of the particular booking my friend made for them, are they independently able to use those funds for themselves on another flight of their own choosing?

Yes

--TheMiddleSeat