Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Can I change to an open seat while in the air

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@OHenk wrote:

"I'd get the FA, who would tell you to get... back in the seat you had at take off"

But would he/she?? Therein lies the question at the heart of this thread.

100% yes they would.

Can you move to a seat that no one has been sitting in? Probably you could do it. The FA do like to have people stay in their original seats though unless there is a need for relocation, so the issue goes  much deeper than whether you can take a seat from someone when they get up to use the lavatory.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'd suggest that someone who has a problem with Southwest's open seating policy would be a better off flying a carrier that offers assigned seating (basically every other carrier), rather than think up inane, childish ways of (apparently) rebelling against that policy on board. 😉

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Admin here. Interesting conversation, and I think all parties involved have engaged in generally good spirits. That said, I think we all know this hypothetical conversation has the potential to head south, so I'm disabling additional comments. Thanks for playing. 😉

JamesK
Explorer B

@dfwskier that is helpful to know. But in your hypothetical, what if I told the FA it was my seat? Would you stamp your foot and say, “but I was here first?” And if I said, “no I was here first,” what developments could we expect? I’m legitimately curious what would happen.

Someone suggested a comparison to a movie theater and there I think if someone got up and left their seat, and then I took it, and they came back with an attendant to oust me, I might reasonably suggest that I had been there first, as demonstrated by my butt in the seat and theirs standing in the aisle.

JamesK
Explorer B

@dfwskier wrote:

Please take your click bait elsewhere.

But I was here first! You should be the one to go!