Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Can people reserve seats on these flights?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It's pretty doubtful that the first 12 peoole to board would all want the exit row. I actually find that oftentimes seats in the exit row (when not being saved) are still open well into the B group, sometimes even later. Many people (for reasons that escape me) prefer the bulkhead row. So ultimately, I don't think your suggestion would help. Instead, I wish Southwest would actually affect a seat-saving policy: Passengers can save any adjacent seat only, and no seat saving in the bulkhead or exit row. This would limit saved seats to 2 at most, and keep the prime seats open. I think this is a compromise most people would be fine with. Sadly, I doubt it will ever happen.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the first 12 people to board get the "EXIT" stamp I'm suggesting the first 12 people in line who want the exit row get it. The stamp would eliminate saving because only passengers with the stamp could sit there initially. It also serves as a pre-screening of exit row passengers at the gate as is done at other airlines.

I don't get the desire for bulkhead seating either. Sure it's at the front of the plane but there's no underseat storage so if you need anything out of your bag, you can only get it when the seat belt sign is off (technically). And while there may be more knee room, there's less leg room because of the bulkhead. At the same time, I'm sure nobody gets my desire for window seats behind the wing. To each his own.

Any cheap and simple solution to the seat-saving issue would be a good solution. As long as it's cheap and simple, I believe that Southwest would be open to it.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@rtbarron wrote:

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the first 12 people to board get the "EXIT" stamp I'm suggesting the first 12 people in line who want the exit row get it. The stamp would eliminate saving because only passengers with the stamp could sit there initially. It also serves as a pre-screening of exit row passengers at the gate as is done at other airlines.

I don't get the desire for bulkhead seating either. Sure it's at the front of the plane but there's no underseat storage so if you need anything out of your bag, you can only get it when the seat belt sign is off (technically). And while there may be more knee room, there's less leg room because of the bulkhead. At the same time, I'm sure nobody gets my desire for window seats behind the wing. To each his own.

Any cheap and simple solution to the seat-saving issue would be a good solution. As long as it's cheap and simple, I believe that Southwest would be open to it.

Ah, gotcha. With all due respect, that seems a bit problematic. The OPS agent would have to make an announcement alerting those who wish to use the exit row make it known upon boarding, then they would have to stop and screen each passenger who requests it, slowing the boarding process. Plus a rubber stamp wouldn't work with mobile boarding passes, so another new piece of paper would have to be introduced. Lastly, if someone said yes but then changed their mind once they got on board (possibly due to the remaining seat configuration in the exit row) the FAs would have to try to then fill those seats prior to departure. It all sounds unfeasible to me.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

It's pretty doubtful that the first 12 peoole to board would all want the exit row. I actually find that oftentimes seats in the exit row (when not being saved) are still open well into the B group, sometimes even later. Many people (for reasons that escape me) prefer the bulkhead row. So ultimately, I don't think your suggestion would help. Instead, I wish Southwest would actually affect a seat-saving policy: Passengers can save any adjacent seat only, and no seat saving in the bulkhead or exit row. This would limit saved seats to 2 at most, and keep the prime seats open. I think this is a compromise most people would be fine with. Sadly, I doubt it will ever happen.

This sounds pretty good to me! And i agree - after all of the complaining about people taking the exit rows, more often than not the middle seats in the exit rows go empty if the flight isn't full - based on my informal survey, a middle seat exit row spot is less desirable than an aisle or window in other rows.

A lot of the early boarders on my flights go for seats towards the front, presumably for an easy escape when deboarding or access to lavatory during the flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.