Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can the tail fall off the aircraft?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattlino/29513144847/in/photolist-LXYzJX-2mWDpaK-2mWwqjM-2mWqxuz-2mWxe...

On a few aircraft there is cheat line by tail front. I think it is just paint fade showing bolts is it this?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Can the tail fall off the aircraft?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

No it can't. 

Over tens of  millions of flights over the last 60 years (the jet age), I am only aware of one instance when that happened. The vertical stabilizer ripped off an  American A300 jet in NYC. The plane crashed. The NTSB ruled that the pilot performed rudder control operations beyond that which was allowed for the plane.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

That was caused by the rudder. This is the tail section. Are the bolts pushing forward or is it paint fade?

dfwskier
Aviator A

The rudder is part of the  vertical stabilizer -- ie tail.

It was more than just the rudder that fell off the AA A300.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

The China crash? Is the black line of the tail the bolts pushing through like wing or fatigue?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Read may have happened.  thoughts friends?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I've learned to NEVER SAY NEVER.  But you've been provided with data on the "unlikelihood" of that happening.  The crash recently is tragic, and I'm sure that as soon as it happened that all pilots and airlines went into, "let's get serious again mode," and are checking planes left and right.  I flew this past Sunday where we were delayed for over 1 and 1/2 hours be fix a malfunction of a door.  Let's just hope these inspections contiune.  Flying is still safer than driving.