Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Canceled flights - threatening of the passengers

Kate301cat301
Explorer C

My flight FLL- AUS -LAX  on 8-22-22 : 1st leg was delayed and the 2nd leg from Austin to LAX was canceled then SW rerouted us to the next day morning flight ( extra 8 hours to wait)

Iam a pregnant woman with food restrictions ( can’t buy anything in the airport) . I asked the Manager of SW in AUS if they can understand my situation that I won’t be able to sleep on the floor in the airport next 8 hours  and be hungry . The managers name is Andrea ( guy) with the haughty face said we don’t do that , “go ahead and pay for your hotel “. I said I don’t have extra money , he said nothing he can do . I begged him to understand my situation a couple of times But the response I received I’ll never forget “I can cut you off from the airlines, so you won’t fly SW”! 
is that the todays standard of customer service when manager is not educated in customer service he shall threaten the passengers? Like we are nothing and asking is illegal and so on ?? Is that true that SW doesn’t want to have passengers and customers anymore? If so please cut me off from the airlines now , there are plenty of others . If not please take care of Andrea and someone in his position, teach them to talk and maybe if they are capable be a human being with others . I don’t demand something that SW can not do and it’s Absolutely impossible! Now after I spent 8 hours on the floor of AUS airport waiting for the flight no 2319 I have my belly pain , going to doctor tomorrow. Thank you Andrea and everyone in SW . Hope some actions will apply to Andrea.

( sorry if I misspelled his name ) 

God bless 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Canceled flights - threatening of the passengers

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

This is a customer to customer forum.  Use the contact us link below and send a message.

Reasons for the cancellations matter so if you know what happened that would be important to include.  Hotels and other accommodations are not offered by airlines (not limited to Southwest) when issues are caused by weather, FAA stoppage, or other issues outside of their control.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Reasons for the cancellations matter so if you know what happened that would be important to include.  Hotels and other accommodations are not offered by airlines (not limited to Southwest) when issues are caused by weather, FAA stoppage, or other issues outside of their control.

--TheMiddleSeat

As themiddleseat said "reasons for cancellations matter.' If the reason was force majeure (act of god) - something totally outside of SW's control -- then Southwest does not allow employees to offer hotel rooms free of charge -- no airline does.

About the only way that Andrea could have done what you wanted was to pay for your hotel room out of his own pocket. 

gold1927
Explorer C

Case # 52241339

Re: Horrible experience and threats by another passenger

Below is a synopsis of what transpired:
I was scheduled on southwest flight 706, from Indianapolis to Jax Airport (8/21).

Upon boarding,  I noticed a young lady sitting on the aisle seat with 2 bags occupying the middle/window  seats. I asked the individual if anyone was sitting there. She initially claimed her 2 friends were in the back.
 I saw a stewardess and asked her if there were any folks occupying the seats. Her response was no.

Bear in mind with southwest, the policy is passengers can sit in any available seat.
I walked back and asked the individual to move her belongings.
She hesitated, but removed her bags, and motioned with her hand for me to pass by.
I literally stepped over her bag to get to the window seat.

At this point,  she begins her "screaming" match. She claimed she didn't know if I had the monkey pox, and was unwilling to get that.
The gentleman directly in front of me, turned around,  and told her to stop bullying me!!
Now, her screaming is escalated, and I called my daughter to give her updates, as I was now in fear of what she could do.

A stewardess walks over, and asks the individual for what transpired.
I'm sitting there waiting for my turn, which never happened. Luckily, she gets up and moves to the left side of the plane.
It's now 8:20 pm, on a flight that was scheduled to depart @8:10pm

Not long after, another stewardess comes by and asks both the individual and myself to follow her.
I picked up my pocket book and followed her, thinking it was my opportunity to state my side.

However, that was not the case.
An associate began working to rebook me, as I kept asking him what was going on. At no point in this experience did anyone state or provide me a reason for their actions. 

I was nor offered a hotel voucher, no apologies or even an explanation for the chain of events. In essence,  I feel like Southwest airlines took her side.

I called back my daughter, who drove back to the airport and housed me for the night.

I meditated on the whole matter, and sent an online message to customer support with how I felt about  my treatment and events.

The customer support still did not acknowledge fault. Instead,  I was offered $150 voucher!
Guess, that was meant to keep me quiet and "grateful". Well, Brett Larsen, you and southwest don't get off that easy!!!

Your customer service is clueless!

I feel I was:
Mistreated
Mishandled
Embarrassed and humiliated by walking me off the plane.
Inconvenienced
Jeopardize my job.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Why didn't you just find another seat? That's what I would do (have done before)