Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled Flight

DM6656
Explorer C

I was booked on a flight out of Houston to Lubbock this morning. I knew the weather could be a concern. Checked my digital boarding pass to see status, nothing was posted. After parking car and catching shuttle I try to check in and it wont let me check in more than 4 hours prior. My flight was in 2 hours. I finally get a helpful person at baggage check to tell me my flight was cancelled. My digital boarding pass said otherwise. It was due to weather and I was re-booked first flight the next day without knowing any of this. Great 12 hours later I am still waiting for a text or an email informing me. I signed up for text and email alerts. Does Southwest no longer let people know their flight was cancelled? Did the pandemic cancel customer service? This is unacceptable!!!!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Cancelled Flight

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry to hear your flight was cancelled due to weather. When a flight is cancelled you can see the flight status on the southwest app or website and if you have a rapid rewards account and your logged in on the app it would show you your flight status. 

With notifications when you booked your flight the day of travel contact information is what Southwest uses to notify you of a delay or cancellation. It's possible that if you said you wanted the text that the phone number could have been entered wrong or if you requested an email notification that could have ended up in the spam folder. Southwest only lets you select 1 method for day of travel contact so you would usually only get an email or a text not both. Also if your flight was early it is possible the notification failed because of the quiet time hours but notifications should go out if the change was significant like yours was. 

If you would like to share your feedback with southwest you can do that though one of these contact methods Contact Customer Relations 

-Blake

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DM6656 wrote:

I was booked on a flight out of Houston to Lubbock this morning. I knew the weather could be a concern. Checked my digital boarding pass to see status, nothing was posted. After parking car and catching shuttle I try to check in and it wont let me check in more than 4 hours prior. My flight was in 2 hours. I finally get a helpful person at baggage check to tell me my flight was cancelled. My digital boarding pass said otherwise. It was due to weather and I was re-booked first flight the next day without knowing any of this. Great 12 hours later I am still waiting for a text or an email informing me. I signed up for text and email alerts. Does Southwest no longer let people know their flight was cancelled? Did the pandemic cancel customer service? This is unacceptable!!!!

If you had downloaded the boarding pass to your phone's wallet then it is static from that point forward (including frequently changed things like gates) but also including cancelations or changes. 

There must be an email out there somewhere, also verify that your phone number was correct when you booked. I'm not sure if there is some rebooking process that would skip the text notification.

I also like App in the Air as a third-party safety net for changes to my flights, I also use Flight View and Flight Aware, Trip It...any of these would be a good backup for you if you travel very often.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DM6656
Explorer C

I have the app, I had the boarding pass and entered my cell number correctly. No notification. This is not my first flight but it is the first time I was not notified. I have a rapid rewards account and still have not been identified I was booked on another flight the next day.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

If you had downloaded the boarding pass to your phone's wallet then it is static from that point forward (including frequently changed things like gates) but also including cancelations or changes. 

Do you mean dynamic? When I download my boarding pass to my wallet on iPhone, it continually updates in real time whenever there are any changes, including gate changes, delays, etc. One of the last flights I took had a gate change and I watched the gate update in real time on the boarding pass in my wallet. 

That aside, in your profile on Southwest.com there is a "Communications" area where you can list your preferred method of contact for flight notifications. I believe there is a step during checkout where you can enter a preferred notification as well, but if you did not do either of these things, that's why you weren't notified about your flight.

--Jessica

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I have had that same issue BEFORE Covid of not being notified.  But I did find out by looking at my app, so all ended good.  

DM6656
Explorer C

This is not my first rodeo. There was no notification. When I checked my new flight status the next day the system could not even find the flight number. People, do you not watch the news? Southwest and American have been doing this to their customers a lot lately. They are scheduling flights hoping to have the personnel. So we are all crossing fingers and hoping there is a flight. They want things to go back to pre covid travel but at what cost?