Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Coffee Cup Lids

rpaz18
Explorer C

Hi, 

I'm just wondering if SW has any safety policy on coffee cup lids. The reason I ask is that during my flight I ordered a cup of coffee and it was given to me with out a lid. Now, I know this may seem normal to all but coming from a safety oriented job I tend to notice small things. Durning my flight we encounter some small turbulence and well thankfully I had less than 1/2 of my coffee left. However, if this was not the case I could have spilled the coffee and either burned my hand, or spilled the hot coffee to the person next to me. Now, I know one spilled coffee may not cause for an entire aviation company to change its policy but it is something in my opinion to consider. The person next to me could have been a small child who may not tolderate a hot coffee spilling on them. If the coffee lids are already available I would suggest training the staff in serving the coffee with the lids attached. 

Just a small observation from a happy flyer. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Coffee Cup Lids

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

I don't think Southwest gives out lids but this is definitely something to share directly with SWA. Best bet is to message via social media with your feedback. 

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

SWDigits
Aviator A

@rpaz18 the forums are primarily customer-to-customer, this is the Knowledge Base article on how to submit a suggestion directly to Southwest:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rpaz18 wrote:

Hi, 

I'm just wondering if SW has any safety policy on coffee cup lids. The reason I ask is that during my flight I ordered a cup of coffee and it was given to me with out a lid. ...If the coffee lids are already available I would suggest training the staff in serving the coffee with the lids attached. 

To answer your question - the policy is that there aren't lids.

I'm reminding myself not to ramble on these topics, but can't help myself. 

The coffee with a lid would be hot for too long to drink on short flights, the issue of clean up of the lids getting everywhere, extra weight, material, cost, etc.

There's also a reverse safety issue that you aren't supposed to carry drinks off the plane, or necessarily even around the plane - think of it more as getting a ceramic cup "for here" at the coffee shop. ...A giant coffeeshop with 143 to 175 seats that bounces around through the air. 

Pilots do get special cups that can have lids, so they exist and it is a known issue that was judged specifically to be "yes" in the cockpit and "no" in the cabin.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.