Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Covid avoidance

BW
Explorer C

Just took a flight from NH to FL and observed a couple things that undermined the obvious efforts by SWA to address safety and contamination avoidance.

1. Boarding in groups of 10 is a great idea but human nature took over at the gate areas with people bunching up at the gate attempting to beat the other nine passengers on board first.  None of the gate handlers addressed the sequence numbers or the spacing of passengers during boarding.

2. Picking up luggage was the same experience.  Almost as if the start of the luggage carousel provided temporary immunity from Covid19, people temporarily ignored spacing and flocked together to pick up their bag first.

3. Lastly, the most glaring in flight problem I observed with SW (and most likely all airline) procedures was during the snack and beverage hand out.  All passengers are encouraged to wear a mask on the plane for sound reasons.  Unfortunately, it occurred to me that the one time snacks and water were handed out, almost all the passengers removed their mask nearly simultaneously to eat their snack and drink water thereby creating a period of time when almost no one is wearing a mask on the plane.  It seems like this defeated almost all the other avoidance protocols in place.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Covid avoidance

dfwskier
Aviator A

As you have observed, the process is nowhere near perfect.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

which is why I put on multiple posts that SW should just have water and snacks in a bag that you grab as we board, this spaces out the time in which passengers have their masks off.  This only addresses number 3 of your concern.  

Passenger1C
Aviator C

SW is doing a far better job than other airlines. It’s almost impossible to police everything.

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

While SWA does all that it can to protect its customers, it ultimately is up to you to protect yourself.

1) During boarding, I just wait until the end of the line of my 10-person group so I'm not standing in one place for too long, and then I carefully dodge the others as I make my way up.  I do wish there were repeated announcements asking folks to please sit down or stand back.  My experience is that this is only announced once, during the explanation of the new boarding process.

2) During luggage pick-up, the same thing applies.  I just wait off to the side until the crowd thins.  Yes, I watch my luggage go around once or twice (keeping eyes on it the whole time).  This costs me maybe an additional 4-6 minutes...but well worth it in terms of staying distanced and safe.

3) I don't snack or eat on board.  Period.  Not worth the risk.  My mask stays on.

These are all my choices.  There will always be those who are either not paying attention or simply not caring about etiquette or the "rules."  My stress is reduced and frustration level vanishes.

gsking
Aviator C

Only you can keep yourself separated from other people.   Don't be surprised when people don't behave as cautiously as you do. 

As far as eating, therein lies the problem with masks covering our mouths.  There is literally no way to eat without taking off a mask, unless you're a dolphin and breath through a blowhole.  This same issue occurs in restaurants, albeit with slightly more distancing.

You have two choices if you are worried:

1.  Leave your mask on, eating later or skipping it. 

2.  Don't fly

What you may now realize that there is only so much that can logically be done to address this problem,  so much of what is done is therefore illogical.   But it makes some people happy, and makes others feel safe.     If you don't feel safe, you can only change your own behavior.   Nothing else can be done with other people's behavior. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I will reply here to tappingmom1 and you.  While I agree with you 100%, I also know that when I'm frustrated that people fly by me 25 miles over the speed limit breaking the rules, at some point, there is a chance that they get caught and ticketed.  But your points are well taken and I appreciate it.

Mine, (and others) like yours, are comments to be taken as constructive and use as we wish.  My comment is about voicing an option that could be considered for all those that can't control their behavior and take their own safety into consideration. 

I doubt SW wants anyone to take the, "well don't fly then," approach.