Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

DIRECT FLIGHTS

patmelluzzo
Explorer C

Hello,

While navigating your flight schedules it occured to me that Southwest didn't have any direct flights to Orlando Florida from Newark Airport during the week that I would need in October. On the other hand your competitor had many options to choose from a month earlier than yours had been posted with a choice of direct flight times.

I have the Southwest credit card and I have purchased points as well.  My son and I love Southwest.  We have been forced to change airlines because you haven't been accomodating to us.  We are fortunate that we can go to Orlando to visit Disney a few times a year and I can't see a flight that takes 2 hours become a 5 hour plus flight to the happiest place on earth!!  From the time I arrive I can utilize the parks etc.  I pay for that priviledge and I can't see wasting a day in an airport or flying if I don't have to.  Many people are visiting loved ones and friends besides Disney.  They're getting cheated out of being with family and friends as well.  It's a 2 hour flight!!!  Many times that I have flown Southwest, I can't remember not being on a full flight.  They're always booked solid.  I have even heard crew members at the airport asking if anyone wanted to switch flights and receive a nice compensation for changing.  I don't get it.

I wish that Southwest would try to accomodate us a bit better than they have.  I have another trip coming up but I'm afraid that Southwest won't be there for us again. I do hope that you reconsider your postion or I'm afraid you will lose us eventually.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: DIRECT FLIGHTS

bec102896
Aviator A

@patmelluzzo 

It looks like EWR MCO service is seasonal meaning it has non stops some months and not others. Also a seasonal flight could have just non stops on a given day of the week like 1 non stop on Saturday only. 

The best thing to do to do to find non stops from EWR to MCO is take a look at the low fare calendar. 

I also suggest you send an email to Southwest to let them know you would like to see this seasonal route become year round which you can do by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of this page.

-Blake 

patmelluzzo
Explorer C

Thank you for answering.

The first thing I did was look at the low fare calendar but the dates didn't help me in making my decision to book at another time.  I didn't see one non -stop that fit anywhere near my schedule.

patmelluzzo
Explorer C

Thank you for your input.

I am in the process of calling headquarters but if there aren't enough complaints it will not get done.  I will continue to look at Southwest and not give up hope.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@patmelluzzo,

There are many times when I wish SWA had a direct flight, and I often have to remember that the airline grew from serving the short haul customer.  I have either taken another airline or made the connection, and I often found that the fare differential between the two airlines makes it well worth sacrificing a few hours for a connection.  It is really convenient to live in a hub, and it is almost always easier to get direct flights from a hub starting point.  

Safe travels and although I live where I always have to connect, most times, I appreciate the SWA savings, and I hope you will always compare the departure times, the fairs and the no fee to cancel or check bags to determine which airline is for you.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Something worth mentioning, for future reference: On Southwest, a "direct" flight is not the same as a non-stop. Direct flights may have stops but passengers don't change planes.

• Non-Stop: No stops between departure and destination
  • Direct: Stops between departure and destination but no plane change
  • Connecting: Stops between departure and destination, requires plane change

patmelluzzo
Explorer C

Thank you for your input.

I was corrected for using the wrong type of flight that I was looking for.  I now know the difference. I was looking for a non-stop flight to Orlando from Newark which makes a big difference than saying a direct flight. I'm spoiled and I do have the privilege of options and I will only take a non-stop 2 hour flight which are very very few and far between for Southwest lately which has disappointed me.  Money and time factors do make a difference to me and other airlines have been offering that option more so which I will have to take advantage of until I see Southwest making it more available to me.

adriandholmes
Explorer B

I know I may be a little late to the party, but I figured I'd drop a little nugget for discussion. Please note that although you may be very disappointed with the apparent lack or slight of concern for pax from EWR, SWA still very much cares for its passengers. EWR is one of the main hubs for a major legacy carrier which means that carrier receives preferential treatment for gate usage and runway take off slots. In the world of aviation, everything is very much time- and money-based. When an airline establishes a hub, all other carriers in and out of that hub are subject to the various restrictions imposed either by the influence or even by the direct authority the main airline maintains on its hub.

I imagine that EWR management is required by its lead carrier to adhere to strict usage restrictions which in turn forces SWA to either curtail operations seasonally or perhaps even permanently suspend them. Bottom line: SWA may not have been the one that wanted to eliminate nonstops to MCO from EWR. They may have been forced into that position by another carrier, by airport management, or even the municipal, state, or federal government.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I'm not sure that it's quite as severe as that - certainly Southwest is limited in its gates and runway slots though, and has to compete directly with the other airlines at the airport, and with limited gates and take-off slots they have to optimize traffic in and out of EWR.

I don't think "the other guys" would directly be able to cause Southwest to change their routes, but they could affect the competitive nature of that route or others, the entire network will always be in flux in that way as carriers respond to each other's changes in service and rates.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

sgrimes1015
Explorer C

I too am very disappointed with Southwest not having any non-stop flights. I fly out of PHL and have never had trouble in the past getting non stop flights. We are traveling 3 times this year, so far.  2x to FL and all flights are no non stop

flights at all. American, however, has many non-stop flights and as much as I’d prefer to travel on Southwest I cannot imagine flying for 6 or 7 hrs for a 2 1/2 hr trip. We travel with little ones and it makes it very uncomfortable. We are also losing precious time to be with family. One of our trips is to a wedding of a family member. I have always touted Southwest to all of my friends that fly American.  I’m disappointed that I can. I longer do this.