Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Damaged Carry on Luggage

PKR3WS
Explorer C

Good evening,

I dont know if you are who im supposed to reach out to. We flew home from LAX today as we were there for my birthday and went to Disneyland for my big day. While there we bought ornaments and brought them with us on our flight thinking that if we checked them they would be damaged. Unfortunately when we brought them on the plane we put them up in the carry on and one of the flight attendants helped another SWA customer with their bags and slammed their bag in to one of our ornaments. We initially didnt think it would be a big deal as Disney packs them with quite a bit of safety care and tons of tissue paper to ensure they dont break. When we just got home we wanted to double check everything and indeed one of the ornaments is broken Cat Sad

What can be done to rectify this issue?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Damaged Carry on Luggage

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@PKR3WS 

Here is my response to your DM hopefully this will help you with trying to get a resolution quickly. 

Sorry to hear your ornaments were damaged because a bag was slammed in to it. 

If you arrived less than 4 hours a go I HIGHLY recommend going back to the airport and seeing a customer service agent in the baggage service office bring the damaged ornament(s) with you so they can see if they are able to process a damage report. Being that this was a carry on I'm not sure if this works the same way as a damaged checked bag since the bag is not directly in there possession. 

If your not near the airport or its been over the 4 hours I would reach out to Southwest on Twitter or Facebook in a DM as well as try calling your local baggage service office ASAP to see what can be done if anything. The airline is only liable for up to 4 hours from the time your flight arrives. 

-Blake 

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Sorry to hear about your broken ornament.

A lesson for everyone. Put carry on fragile items under the seat in front of you. Don't sit in the first row. If your bag of fragile items wont fit under the seat in front of you then you shouldn't be carrying it on in the first place.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@PKR3WS wrote:

Good evening,

I dont know if you are who im supposed to reach out to. We flew home from LAX today as we were there for my birthday and went to Disneyland for my big day. While there we bought ornaments and brought them with us on our flight thinking that if we checked them they would be damaged. Unfortunately when we brought them on the plane we put them up in the carry on and one of the flight attendants helped another SWA customer with their bags and slammed their bag in to one of our ornaments. We initially didnt think it would be a big deal as Disney packs them with quite a bit of safety care and tons of tissue paper to ensure they dont break. When we just got home we wanted to double check everything and indeed one of the ornaments is broken Cat Sad

What can be done to rectify this issue?

We're so sorry to hear this! While The Community is primarily a peer-to-peer support forum, it never hurts to reach out to us via the options in the link below, even outside the four hour time window. Sending @Southwestair a DM on Twitter can often be your quickest bet. Thanks!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

Nicole
Community Manager