Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Does Southwest allow VPN connections while on the in-flight WiFi?

indiez
Explorer C

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this question. I'm a network engineer for a big healthcare company and the only way to access our companies email is through a VPN. We have many execs that fly east coast to west coast weekly and without VPN they are essentially out of office the entire time in the air. Can anyone direct me to an official statement about this?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Does Southwest allow VPN connections while on the in-flight WiFi?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Generally speaking, no.  Depending on the VPN being used some people have had success.  Due to the general slowness and spotty reliability of the connection I wouldn't count on getting much work done.

You don't allow any access to email without VPN?  No email on mobile devices?  Bummer

--TheMiddleSeat

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@TheMiddleSeat Our computer security is so good that it is quite effective at stopping us from getting our work done. I can only check my email on a designated computer. If I'm not in my office, I need to use a VPN. To access the VPN, I need to log on to said computer, provide VPN software my password again, and then verify the connection using an app (I can do this on my Apple watch).

I won't even begin to discuss the limitations once I'm logged in. However, the net result is that I have multiple off domain computers that do not have the same security, and that's where the most valuable IP is developed and stored.

gsking
Aviator C

VPN seems to work for me,  but lately the connection is bad enough to make it not usable.   I'm connected,  but barely and intermittently. 

Not sure why it seems to have gotten worse.