Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Does the left or right side of the plane have more sunglare?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

For east bound, west bound/ and north south bound 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Does the left or right side of the plane have more sunglare?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Since flights are rarely strictly a single direction, there is no correct answer to the question.

For example, for a flight between Houston and Chicago the flight will have times it is flying

eastbound and times it is flying northbound. Weather diversions cause this too.

In general, the side of the plane facing the sun is going to have more sun glare. That means right side for eastbound flights, left side for westbound flights, and for north and southbound

flights in general it makes no difference.

If you are trying to avoid glare, the best advice is to avoid window seats. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

In many cases, it depends upon the time of the day. Every Monday morning, I fly from OKC to Houston. In this case, when the sun rises (in the east), the sun comes in through the windows on the left side. My preferred seat for this flight is front row, by the window, on the right side (I'm usually there so say hi sometime). Of course, the person on the other side rarely closes the window, and I get very grump at one point during the flight.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Do engine or wing seats hide the sun better. I 'm guessing engine from the silver color right of the wing right?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

sunset bad on row A right? Row F ok southbound for Florida fans and snowbirds

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

This isn't trying to be sarcastic, but each window does have a shade that slides up and down.  Just FYI.  If you're thinking that others might want a window open, there are also certain rows that don't have a window at all.  I hope this helps.