Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Drink Vouchers

BoulderBill
New Arrival

Hey everyone! Does anyone know when vouchers will return and/or if flights taken during the pandemic will qualify for vouchers retroactively?

Love Southwest! 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Drink Vouchers

dfwskier
Top Contributor

Well, drink service was to resume this summer, until some stupid people protesting the mask

requirement and started abusing the cabin crew  -- o n all airlines and not just SW..  That delayed everything again

When things start up again, I suspect you will receive your allotment of drink coupons for every 10 paid flights you've taken since the last time you got drink coupons,

BoulderBill
New Arrival

Yep... unbelievable. Looks like that behavior is being exampled in other areas of our society as well... baseball games, theaters, transit... anyhow, that's what I was thinking as well. Southwest always seems to make things right! Thanks for your reply.

jksobonya
Rising Star

Also: at one point I believe it was mentioned that drink coupons with an expiration date of 2020 would be valid through the end of 2021, so that's something to keep in mind if/when they reinstate alcohol on flights in the fall (and IMO, I don't see why they won't, since more and more drinks are being added back into service as time goes on).

--Jessica

bwallet

Is alcohol really a money maker for Southwest? I always figured that most drinks were bought with vouchers of one form or another.

jksobonya
Rising Star

@bwallet wrote:

Is alcohol really a money maker for Southwest? I always figured that most drinks were bought with vouchers of one form or another.

I don't have any stats, but I see more people actually purchasing them than using coupons in my experience. Considering alcohol is the most expensive thing to purchase at around $7-$8  and the little bottles of alcohol probably cost $1 (or less) to buy in bulk, I imagine Southwest makes a nice margin on alcohol sales.

--Jessica

BoulderBill
New Arrival

That's been my experience as well. I've never had the opportunity to use a voucher and I have purchased at least one drink on my flights prior to COVID.

jksobonya
Rising Star

@BoulderBill wrote:

That's been my experience as well. I've never had the opportunity to use a voucher and I have purchased at least one drink on my flights prior to COVID.

The open secret is that you need to fly 10 one way flights in a year to receive drink coupons in the mail. 

--Jessica

gsking
Rising Star

@jksobonya wrote:

Also: at one point I believe it was mentioned that drink coupons with an expiration date of 2020 would be valid through the end of 2021, so that's something to keep in mind if/when they reinstate alcohol on flights in the fall (and IMO, I don't see why they won't, since more and more drinks are being added back into service as time goes on).

--Jessica

If they don't hurry, they'll have a lot of drunk people trying to catch up.   I know everyone next to me on a few flights may be getting free drinks. 

bwallet

I've got assume that they will not catch us up on missed drink coupons. I've got 22 saved, and I've had at least 70 flights since I last got any. If they catch us up, that's 50.