Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Drink Vouchers

BoulderBill
Explorer C

Hey everyone! Does anyone know when vouchers will return and/or if flights taken during the pandemic will qualify for vouchers retroactively?

Love Southwest! 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Drink Vouchers

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, drink service was to resume this summer, until some stupid people protesting the mask

requirement and started abusing the cabin crew  -- o n all airlines and not just SW..  That delayed everything again

When things start up again, I suspect you will receive your allotment of drink coupons for every 10 paid flights you've taken since the last time you got drink coupons,

BoulderBill
Explorer C

Yep... unbelievable. Looks like that behavior is being exampled in other areas of our society as well... baseball games, theaters, transit... anyhow, that's what I was thinking as well. Southwest always seems to make things right! Thanks for your reply.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Also: at one point I believe it was mentioned that drink coupons with an expiration date of 2020 would be valid through the end of 2021, so that's something to keep in mind if/when they reinstate alcohol on flights in the fall (and IMO, I don't see why they won't, since more and more drinks are being added back into service as time goes on).

--Jessica

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Is alcohol really a money maker for Southwest? I always figured that most drinks were bought with vouchers of one form or another.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@bwallet wrote:

Is alcohol really a money maker for Southwest? I always figured that most drinks were bought with vouchers of one form or another.

I don't have any stats, but I see more people actually purchasing them than using coupons in my experience. Considering alcohol is the most expensive thing to purchase at around $7-$8  and the little bottles of alcohol probably cost $1 (or less) to buy in bulk, I imagine Southwest makes a nice margin on alcohol sales.

--Jessica

BoulderBill
Explorer C

That's been my experience as well. I've never had the opportunity to use a voucher and I have purchased at least one drink on my flights prior to COVID.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@BoulderBill wrote:

That's been my experience as well. I've never had the opportunity to use a voucher and I have purchased at least one drink on my flights prior to COVID.

The open secret is that you need to fly 10 one way flights in a year to receive drink coupons in the mail. 

--Jessica

gsking
Aviator C

@jksobonya wrote:

Also: at one point I believe it was mentioned that drink coupons with an expiration date of 2020 would be valid through the end of 2021, so that's something to keep in mind if/when they reinstate alcohol on flights in the fall (and IMO, I don't see why they won't, since more and more drinks are being added back into service as time goes on).

--Jessica

If they don't hurry, they'll have a lot of drunk people trying to catch up.   I know everyone next to me on a few flights may be getting free drinks. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I've got assume that they will not catch us up on missed drink coupons. I've got 22 saved, and I've had at least 70 flights since I last got any. If they catch us up, that's 50.