Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Drink vouchers on Business Select for underage passengers

brittshep
Explorer C

My family and I (including two kiddos ages 13 and 16) will be flying on a Business Select fare next week. My husband and I should have an alcoholic drink voucher available on our tickets, but what about the kids? I assume that their tickets will print with no voucher since they are underage? Or will they still have a voucher printed that they just can't use (and if the latter is the case... will my husband and I be able to use them? 😆)  

Additionally... how does the drink voucher work for connecting flights? We have a pretty long layover (5 hrs) in HOU and I'd prefer to use my voucher on the second leg of the flight... how does that work? 

Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to my first SWA experience! 😊

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Drink vouchers on Business Select for underage passengers

floridaguy
Aviator C

Southwest has a rule against consuming alcoholic beverages that you "may have brought on board", however, there is no rule, per se, for alcoholic beverages that "suddenly materialize" in the overhead compartment.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Southwest has a rule against consuming alcoholic beverages that you "may have brought on board", however, there is no rule, per se, for alcoholic beverages that "suddenly materialize" in the overhead compartment.

Cute, but wrong.

Per FAA guidelines , if SW did not bring it on the plane, you can't legally drink it.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Horrible and illegal advice.  Please refrain from suggesting people break the law.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@brittshep wrote:

My family and I (including two kiddos ages 13 and 16) will be flying on a Business Select fare next week. My husband and I should have an alcoholic drink voucher available on our tickets, but what about the kids? I assume that their tickets will print with no voucher since they are underage? Or will they still have a voucher printed that they just can't use (and if the latter is the case... will my husband and I be able to use them? 😆)  

I believe that since the kiddos list their birthdays on the reservation, that logic built in to the computer system stops the voucher from printing.

Additionally... how does the drink voucher work for connecting flights? We have a pretty long layover (5 hrs) in HOU and I'd prefer to use my voucher on the second leg of the flight... how does that work? 

I also believe that the voucher is only good on the flight listed on the boarding pass. So it would not be valid on your second flight.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@brittshep wrote:

I believe that since the kiddos list their birthdays on the reservation, that logic built in to the computer system stops the voucher from printing.

I also believe that the voucher is only good on the flight listed on the boarding pass. So it would not be valid on your second flight.

I believe it is same day actually, so you could use them early or late, you'll get one for each boarding pass. So if you change planes, you get two coupons. If you stayed on the plane with only one boarding pass, you get one coupon.

But that said I would just ask nicely and see if the magic happens about the "missing" kid coupons, it can probably be arranged.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

This brings up an interesting idea maybe for kids who get BS fares they should get a Wi-Fi code instead of the drink coupon 

i am curious is it really worth buying kids a BS fare? I mean the points are nice as long as they have a RR account but you could just pay for upgraded boarding for them or EB check in and save a lot of money or points or the old save seats game with just you buying a BS fare. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

i am curious is it really worth buying kids a BS fare? I mean the points are nice as long as they have a RR account but you could just pay for upgraded boarding for them or EB check in and save a lot of money or points or the old save seats game with just you buying a BS fare. 

I would hope there's some desire for refundability since that is the biggest benefit of a BS fare. 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

On my last flight, the FA clarified during the announcement that you could not consume alcohol that "suddenly materialized" in the overhead compartment versus some that "may have been brought on board".

They thought it was funny but this board does not always see the humor.

Maybe it is time for a little song?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@brittshep wrote:

I would just ask the FA if you want to get two extras since the kids didn't didn't get them. I agree with the others that the kid boarding passes should print without the coupons.

@brittshep wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's "same day" flights, and you'll get one per boarding pass so assuming with the length of layover at HOU you'll actually get coupons for each flight, and you can save them for the second flight if you prefer.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.