Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Exit row hoarders?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

Needless aggressive behavior like this is 10x worse than someone saving one seat. 

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

Needless aggressive behavior like this is 10x worse than someone saving one seat. 

Correct.

There's probably a seat just as good one or two rows back.

floridaguy
Aviator C

No, it is not.  If the seat is open, it is open.  The last person that told me they were saving a seat I told them that it was a great topic for a book, but not gonna work on Southwest Airlines.

Yes, I sat in the seat.

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A
Solution

I don’t dislike you like some here do, haha, I grew up a Florida Guy myself and at best I find your schticks funny (I have yet to hear this popular song but I keep my ears peeled) and your positions based in some hard reality, at worst, well…nevermind, but you are just being wrong here. This is a seat on an airplane. At longest, four hours of real estate. Usually on SWA, 1-2 hours. You will survive sitting in what is not your chosen seat—maybe a few inches less leg room, maybe a row or two back—for that time. Get over it. And trust me, no one on the bird finds you any more sympathetic than the person saving a seat when you argue about it and create a scene: you are equally or worse a donkey hole.

(I definitely agree if someone is saving more than one seat they are on thin ice and it is fair game however.)

floridaguy
Aviator C

Understood and appreciated.

Sometime I'll have to share the little song that has caught on.

😁

FallenSWFanboy
Explorer C

Guess I'm in the minority here but I'm 100% against saving unoccupied seats under any circumstance. I've read many posts on the topic and have yet to find a situation where, in my view, it is appropriate for the customer to save a seat for a passenger that is not yet on the plane.

What about young children? Since 2016, airlines are required by law to seat a child under 13 next to their parent. If you are one parent with two young children this means you are entitled by law to 3 seats together. If you are two parents and one young child then one of you may still have to sit elsewhere. The flight attendant can facilitate getting volunteers for this arrangement.

Any other situation, if you dearly want to sit with your companion the correct thing to do is to buy the tickets under a single reservation and upgrade all seats so you get A1-A15. Failing that, board together in the later of your two boarding positions.  If your companion has a late boarding position there's still no guarantee you will get to sit together but then that's the point: ON SOUTHWEST THERE'S NO GUARANTEE YOU WILL GET TO SIT TOGETHER.

If you are not happy with this situation and feel like it's a great burden on a long flight I am sympathetic. The polite thing to do is to book your trip on another airline and pay for a reserved seat. The impolite thing to do is to show up on my flight and "save" a seat for your teenager, spouse, mother, grandfather, co-worker, or drinking buddies.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I totally agree.  And, by the way, the law does not guarantee sitting together.  There is no practical way to enforce that since seats are either 1.)  first come, first serve ala Southwest, or 2.) designated during purchase.