Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

FA held up passengers from deplaning UNTIL row in front was empty makes no sense...

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

Flew to nashville from Tampa this weekend - flights full both ways. No issues on the way up, everyone wearing masks as required but as I said, all seats occupied. 

Landing in Tampa, FA makes announcement that when we get to the get everyone MUST stay in their seats until the row in front has deplaned to maintain "social distancing" Can we make flying anymore fun?

Soooooo as soon as the bell rings, of course people are getting up, gathering their things etc. She gets on again and admonishes everyone but the front row to get back in their seats...now the front row are taking their sweet time rearranging their carryons etc as is their right but now everyone else is sitting their watching...keep in mind we've been jammed into a full plane and now lets extend the deplaning process. If this is SWA policy, why was it not on the way up? And if it IS SWA policy, well, lets call it social distancing theater...cause if they really cared about social distancing, then maybe not fill the plane. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to see the plane full but was ridiculous

6 REPLIES 6

Re: FA held up passengers from deplaning UNTIL row in front was empty makes no sense...

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry, but I disagree.

If boarding can be controlled in groups of 10, to maintain social distancing, then deplaning can be controlled in groups of 6 to maintain social distancing.

Re: FA held up passengers from deplaning UNTIL row in front was empty makes no sense...

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

no need to apologize about disagreeing...but "social distancing" on a plane is a farce. But lets "maintain" it when we get on and off....

Passenger1C
Aviator C

If passengers listened and followed directions, the process would be smoother. At least SW is trying. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

gsking
Aviator C

If you care to nitpick, at least when you're in your seat,  you have air blasting down on you keeping the spittle away. 

Once you stand up, you lose that feature. 

I've studied this phenomenon both before and during Covid.   I don't see a good option.  The best we can hope for is for one person per row (or every other if you wish during Covid) to get up and prepare to deplane.  Then once they get by, the next folks do the same. 

The key here is to only stand up when you can get off the plane quickly,  or you're not blocking the aisle.  This is an issue of decorum and possibly waiting a few moments to avoid delaying others.   This requires a modicum of intelligence and being unselfish about it.   But we rarely get that. 

Instead we get boorish people pushing their way towards the back to get their bag,  rather than waiting for those aisles to clear and getting their bag without holding anyone up. 

Those sorts of people are unreachable,  pandemic or otherwise. 

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

And yet other posters complain that flight attendants don't do more to enforce this practice.... It seems like a no-win situation for them.

Corson231
Explorer C
@mygiftcardsite wrote:

Flew to nashville from Tampa this weekend - flights full both ways. No issues on the way up, everyone wearing masks as required but as I said, all seats occupied. 

Landing in Tampa, FA makes announcement that when we get to the get everyone MUST stay in their seats until the row in front has deplaned to maintain "social distancing" Can we make flying anymore fun?

Soooooo as soon as the bell rings, of course people are getting up, gathering their things etc. She gets on again and admonishes everyone but the front row to get back in their seats...now the front row are taking their sweet time rearranging their carryons etc as is their right but now everyone else is sitting their watching...keep in mind we've been jammed into a full plane and now lets extend the deplaning process. If this is SWA policy, why was it not on the way up? And if it IS SWA policy, well, lets call it social distancing theater...cause if they really cared about social distancing, then maybe not fill the plane. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to see the plane full but was ridiculous

Nowadays airlines encourage passengers to deplane one row at a time to minimize the amount of crowding in the aisle. In a 36 second video, a passenger can be seen staying seated when it’s her turn to deplane.