Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Filled to capacity?

tcpomfret
Explorer C

Has anyone recently done the PVD to MCO flight?  if so, how crowded?  I see some of the flights delayed for 4 plus hours - wondering if they are trying to hold off and fill the planes during that period?  Any trouble getting seats together with family - regardless of the Class of ticket chosen?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Filled to capacity?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@tcpomfret I sort of discussed this in your other post, but a few other thoughts:

• The airline will not hold flights to fill them as far as ticket sales. A delay backs up the whole day and system. They might choose to hold a flight for connecting passengers, but it depends on the situation.
  • Full flights are not uncommon right now due to the state of the industry with airlines trying to balance supply and demand to minimize loss. I can't speak to that specific route, but given that FL is more "open" right now compared to some states, I am hearing of pretty full flights.
  • See the other post about my thoughts on family seating.

Happy flying!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Re: Filled to capacity?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@tcpomfret wrote:

Has anyone recently done the PVD to MCO flight? 

Not me

if so, how crowded?  I see some of the flights delayed for 4 plus hours - wondering if they are trying to hold off and fill the planes during that period? 

No airline delays flights to fill the planes. Why? Well in this case if the flight to MCO is delayed, then the plane gets to MCO late. What if that plane is scheduled to depart to DEN an hour after the original arrival time??? Delayed flights disrupt the schedule far beyond the initial delay. That's why airines try to avoid them. 

Any trouble getting seats together with family - regardless of the Class of ticket chosen?

Class of ticket does not matter. When you board does.

Depends on the size of the family. Large families are going to have more trouble.  

If you end up in C boarding group, it is likely you will not find more than two seats together. Anything before B30 and it's  likely you'll be able to find 3 together.

You can get better boarding 

position by checking in exactly 24 hours before departure, or buy purchasing early bird check in.
A person with a more expensive ticket who checks in after you will get a less desirable boarding position.