Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First Time Flyer

dirtygeek
Explorer C

I'm 37, and never flown, & wanted to travel but never really have because I'm a scardy. I think initially because I get motion sickness, car sick, sea sick, and afraid I'll get sick on the plane, and then 9/11 happening when I was younger didn't help things in my brain.

However, I own an iT Company, and need to start traveling to expand the business. Need to travel from NC to SAN in January and been trying to decide on an airline, which I'm thinking south west. Any tips, help for a First time Scardy Motion Sickness Flyer? Tricks? What about seat placement?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: First Time Flyer

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

Purchase some Dramamine before your flight and bring it on board with you in case you start feeling ill. Also, buy a role of mint lifesavers and eat some before takeoff. This is always helped me.

Your fear is perfectly normal.  I suggest you try to get the first flight out coming and going as this will decrease the chance of delays. Get nonstop flights if at all possible. To me, it’s worth driving an extra hour to get a nonstop flight. Avoid checking luggage if possible as well.  Bring extra credit cards, a couple hundred in 20s, a couple of blank checks, water, snacks, and masks. Make sure your phones are fully charged and bring headphones. Download the SWA app before your flight so you can use the free video and other fun things during your flight.  Arrive early at the airport so you don’t have to rush or worry about TSA lines.  When you get settled into your seats take a look around the plane. Look out the window and into the cockpit while the door is open.  If you find yourself feeling anxious say, “stop!” And take three deep slow breaths.  First time flyer fears are perfectly normal. Everyone on the plane was a first timer at one time.  Enjoy the experience. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Congrats on your expanding business! I get the nerves, but I think you will be a pro in no time.  I highly recommend you travel with Southwest because they are so customer friendly (the LUV airline).

Here are a few resources:

If you are going to start traveling, don’t forget to sign up for Southwest’s Rapid Rewards program as well!

Welcome to the SW family, and happy flying.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Search this forum for the terms "first time flyer" or "nervous flyer." You'll find lots of posts that provide insights that would help you out. You are not alone. Lots of people get nervous.

Passenger2B
Explorer C

Good morning @dirtygeek! I remember the days of being a first time flyer. There's some really good advice in these other posts. The only thing I'd really add is that you'll find the smoothest ride on the plan to be in the rows directly above the wings. Try to grab a seat there for your first flight. Good luck with the flight and the business!

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Great advice on this thread!

Grab a window seat and look out the window. A seat over the front edge of the wing is the most preferable spot (the degree of motion is the lowest here). Direct the air vent to blow cool air on your face.

Good luck!

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

gsking
Aviator C

Don't wait until you're nauseated, it's too late.   

https://www.dramamine.com/blog/5-tips-to-avoid-motion-sickness-your-first-cruise#:~:text=Try%20takin....

I never get sick on planes, but I can say it works noticeably well on ships.