Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First time 6 year old flyers who are a bit nervous

xxkrazy4u
Explorer C

Does southwest do anything for little kids who might be afraid to fly or the first time?  I have twin 6 year olds who have never flown before and are a bit petrified of heights. I feel like I have seen some kids get to meet the pilots or getting a set of wings before and feel like something like that would be cool and help them get over the fact that they are on a big scary airplane. Anyone know how we can maybe get a pair of wings for them?  

6 REPLIES 6

Re: First time 6 year old flyers who are a bit nervous

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Definitely introduce yourselves early at the gate and the staff may be able to help and have the crew talk to your kids before the flight.

Look for any pilots in the boarding area, they often like talking to kiddos and answer questions. (Won’t be your pilot necessarily.)

They might have some pin on wings at the gate also, and check at the airport’s information desk on the way in they may also have some kits or materials.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I don't know about getting wings, but I recommend:

-make sure the kids are masked up

-chat up the flight attendants, explain your kids' excitement and anxiousness,

-ask nicely if a cabin crew member is available? 

Being understanding if the flight is full and or delayed

Remember the crew is there to do their assigned jobs and deliver you and your family safely to your destination, not entertain you.

best of luck

TravelGuru
Explorer A

Masked up? Lol the kids are terrified and now they can’t smile or see people smile. We are going to have a whole generation of psychotic adults because of this stupidity.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

"Masked up? Lol the kids are terrified and now they can’t smile or see people smile. We are going to have a whole generation of psychotic adults because of this stupidity."

Psychotic Adults? Where is your data to back up this claim?

Children take their cues on behavior from their parents' behavior. The apple never falls too far from the tree.

Good luck with your anger

dfwskier
Aviator A

It seems his topic has come up in the past.

Here are a some threads that might give you a few ideas 

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Blog/A-Magical-First-Flight/ba-p/56391

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Travel-Policies/First-time-flying-certificate-for-child/m-p/81401

Hope you have a good  flight

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

They will be safe. The pilot walks around the airplane looking for loose parts before flights and at night flashlight.