Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First time flyer MCI>DCA

ragnar21
Explorer C

First time flying heading out in about a week from MCI to DCA any tips besides check in 24hrs early for boarding? And arrive early for security? Never been airborne, for a work convention so I didn't purchase ticket myself but I did download the SWA app. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Re: First time flyer MCI>DCA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It sounds like you have a good handle on things.  You mentioned you have the Southwest app.  Have you been able to pull up your reservation so you're able to check-in when that 24 hours before departure time hits?  If you haven't already, now is a good time to sign up for a Rapid Rewards account so you can start earning points towards free flights and easily see your reservations in the app.  You can add your RR number to the reservation here: https://www.southwest.com/air/manage-reservation/index.html?page=ADD-RAPID-REWARDS-NUMBER

Bring some headphones with your phone and you should be able to watch live TV or movies while onboard or you can bring your own entertainment.  You may also want to pick up some food or drink before you board to supplement the free drink and small snack you should get in flight.  While at the gate pay attention to boarding announcements so you know when to line up.  Your boarding position will be either A, B, or C with a number and the gate agent will say when it's time for the A group to line up.  You'll quickly see how the system works.  When in doubt about anything, ask a Southwest employee, they will help you out.

Enjoy the flight and let us know how it goes.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: First time flyer MCI>DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ragnar21 wrote:

First time flying heading out in about a week from MCI to DCA any tips besides check in 24hrs early for boarding? And arrive early for security? Never been airborne, for a work convention so I didn't purchase ticket myself but I did download the SWA app. Thanks

MCI was an amazing innovation when it was built with "pods" around the access road, but since 9/11 the pods are not connected - eat before you get there or plan to bring some snacks or a sandwich as your opportunity to get things in the airport may be limited depending where your gate is. I have found it to have consistently short security lines though, the ratio of TSA stations to passengers seems to be in the traveler's favor until the new terminal opens. The standard "2 hour" suggestion is probably more than ample.

DCA is great, especially if you are staying at a local hotel there in Virginia or else taking the rapid transit into DC. I love the concourse Southwest uses at DCA, it's a tough fit for today's plane sizes and passenger count, but love the re-use of the old architecture. Security here is also not too bad, the TSA station you use on the return trip will be mainly for the single concourse that Southwest uses I've found it to be reasonable during my previous trips. The standard "2 hour" suggestion is probably more than ample. The concourses are connected though so you can walk between the concourses once you are airside, or at least they used to all be connected. 

Have a good trip!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.