Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight Attendant Refused to Serve Me a Beverage

KJohns36
Explorer C

On 9/11/22 my morning flight from Dallas to Las Vegas with a stop in Little Rock I fell asleep during part of the first leg of my flight (when the flight attendant took drink orders) however I awoke as flight attendant was passing out drinks.  I was the last row she serviced for her section and after she handed the passenger next to me a drink I asked if I can get a drink.  The flight attendant must not have heard me (so I thought) because she continued to walk back down the isle.  I decided to ask as again as she came back down the isle collecting trash.  When she got to my row I asked if I could get a drink and I was told by the flight attendant “NO! you have missed the time to get any drink and that they will be landing soon”  I looked at my flight tracker and we had 25 minutes before we would land!  I am diabetic need water to take my medicine.  I was totally embarrassed as all the other passengers around me heard her speak to me as if I was a child and that I was now being punished because I had fallen asleep.  The flight attendant continued down the isle collecting trash and when she got to the back of the plane she stood in the isle way talking to another flight attendant for 10 minutes or more.  As we were descending  this flight attendant came back up the isle (collecting all trash before landing) and I tasked for her name and mentioned I was going to report her!
Another flight attendant came quickly down the isle with a glass of water asking me if I needed to take medicine that I would need to hurry up get medicine out and drink water really fast because we are now descending.  At this point I was humiliated with everyone on flight looking at me trying to figure out what was wrong or going on in my row because we were about to land and they knew everyone should be in there seat to include flight attendants.  This same flight crew was on my second leg of flight and I was taunted by this same flight attendant!

I fly a lot with Southwest and I am one of their A-Listers and I have never had this happen before on a flight! I had to fly again on 9/14/22 and I had anxiety that this flight attendant would be on this flight.  

I am trying to see what steps I should take to ensure this doesn’t happen to me or anyone else with a medical or disability issue.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flight Attendant Refused to Serve Me a Beverage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@KJohns36 wrote:

I am trying to see what steps I should take to ensure this doesn’t happen to me or anyone else with a medical or disability issue.

If this is a life threatening issue you should definitely be bringing your own water onboard.  There are often flights that are too turbulent to serve beverages, what would you do in that situation if you were relying on being served?

There is a time during the flight when the cabin needs to be prepared for landing and in this instance it appears you didn't request a drink until that time, when it is too late to begin service.  As you disagreed with how this was handled, you can send your feedback regarding this issue to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

So it said 25min to arrive well they prepare for landing starting 25min or more before landing depending on possible turbulence so yes on a quick flight you may have 1 chance and sometimes no chance that’s just how it goes. 

maybe next time bring a refillable water bottle and once though security you can fill it up to drink wherever you need it

rich1954
Adventurer A

My wife always brings her own bottle of water on.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@KJohns36 wrote:

After taking off from Little Rock, were you served?