Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

For Florida flying is beach big enough to see on both sides of plane?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Or do you need to be on beach side? Thank you !

7 REPLIES 7

Re: For Florida flying is beach big enough to see on both sides of plane?

dfwskier
Aviator A

My guess is one side or the other.

Even if the plane is flying right down the middle of the beach (unlikely), you can't look straight down to see anything. The "blind spot" is probably at least 30-40 of 180  degrees.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

You might be able to see it on both sides in places where there is an intercoastal waterway on the Gulf side - it won't be the same beach, but there could be beach on one side of a key and then also the mainland, or on the intercoastal of another beach.

I think this would be rare to see beach on both sides though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Flying to/from south Florida there isn't a whole to see from 20,000+ feet, now Landing and Taking off depending on the wind direction at PBI and FLL the view can be pretty cool. The view at Miami is not much from my experience based on the flight paths. It's cool flying into Orlando sometimes because Cape Canaveral is visible to the east as you bank into Orlando.

You mileage may vary....

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Tampa?

bjshafer82
Explorer C

If you are flying into Tampa, I would advise sitting on the left side of the plane. The two times I've flown into Tampa (from Chicago), we've flown south down the beach for several miles past the airport before banking and heading back north to land. Obviously this could change based on which direction you're arriving from or the weather, but that's what happened for us. We spent several days on the beach at John's Pass and watched several jets fly that same pattern. Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 9.00.33 AM.png

williamh
Employee
Employee

If you see a Pilot when you're boarding, you could try asking them? Hope you get a great view!

Hi! I am one of the Moderators for the Southwest Careers board. See you around the Community!

William
Southwest Careers

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Getting on the "view" side is always my fave game when travelling thru or to FL!

But unless the plane turns, or is going east/west, you'll need to be sitting on the side facing the beach.

-A List, Companion Pass holder